Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ric 4003 opinions?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by GabeN, Feb 27, 2006.

1. GabeN

GabeN

Feb 27, 2006
    Chugiak, AK
    Hi, I'm new here and instead of posting a 'hello' thread and a question thread I'll just make one for both.

My story: Last spring I borrowed my buddy's bass for a couple practice sessions with a guitarist buddy. I started playing the thing and it was so fun I couldnt put it down. Well, I still have this Ibanez GR200 that I'm thumpin around on for a year because the guy that lent it to me doesnt play anymore. So, I'm hooked on bass and I've taught myself to play metallica and am working on plucking with 3 fingers and learning some bass solos.

Sooooo....

I am starting to hate this accursed low-end crapper because it sucks and was cruising for a new bass. I came across a little pawn shop with a Rickenbaker 4003 hangin on the wall. I was informed that they would let it go for 400 bucks. The only hangup is that it has a warped neck (If it did I couldnt tell it from eyeballing down the neck).

Okay, so I really like the feel of it and it's super-nice playing. The only problem is that the Metallica stuff I'm playing now often calls for 21 frets. The Ric is only 20 frets. My favorite song as of now is Anesthesia (pulling teeth) and it's peppered with 21 fret bends and nice things.

Bottomline: should I get the Ric? Will it be suitable for metal or is it just for mellower stuff?

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    As far as getting that particular Ric, I wouldn't be able to comment without seeing the particular bass.

In regards to being suitable for metal? They're great. Arch Enemy bassist uses a pair of them I think. Cliff did (even though they were modified with a Gibson humbucker and Jazz pickup) but he got by on them.

Ask Nino Valenti, he's a heavy player with his band and I believe he's in the market for one right now. They're versatile basses.

3. GabeN

GabeN

Feb 27, 2006
    Chugiak, AK
  4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    THAT'S the bass in question? A 4004? 100% sure?

They're great basses, but not the same as a 4003 by any means, tonally.

Outside of 4003's, I couldn't help much.

5. GSRLessard14

GSRLessard14 All-Things-Claypool Enthusiast

Jun 23, 2005
    Newington, CT
    I want one in Fireglo.

That's my opinion.

6. GabeN

GabeN

Feb 27, 2006
    Chugiak, AK
    Yep, ABSOLUTELY sure. I know it's positively not a 4003 now, because it doesnt have that pick guard and has 2 similar pickups. It has that same finish as the one in the picture, a clear stain I believe.

How much different is the 4004 to say, my crapola Ibanez or to the 4003? I would test it out at the shop, but they don't have much in the way of amps on hand.

7. The 4004 has more of a round sound, whereas the 4003 has more treble bite ...

I love my 4003, but I think the 4004 would be a much more versatile bass guitar - I play rock, and love the edge the Rick gives me, especially through a gritty amp or pedal.

They totally rock, man. Get one!(4004 or 4003)

P.S., I started out on an Ibanez SR400, and it sounds like a piece of driftwood in comparison.

8. psi

psi

Mar 11, 2005
    New Jersey
    Well $400 is a f$@king awesome deal. If the neck ever becomes a problem, you can have it PLEK'ed for $600 which, adding to the sale price, is what you'd pay for a Rickenbacker normally.

9. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    $400 for a 4004? That's a steal! Unless, of course, the neck does have issues as the pawn shop guy said.

10. GabeN

GabeN

Feb 27, 2006
    Chugiak, AK
    Thanks for the help guys. I'm gonna go try out some Fender Jazz bass's and see how they compare.

11. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I'm pretty sure that Cliff recorded that song with his Red Ric. $400 is an AWESOME price but if the neck is shot, I wouldn't bother. If you didn't notice anything wrong with the neck, maybe the guys at the Pawn shop don't know what they're talking about.

12. WarwickFan

WarwickFan

Feb 7, 2005
    Florida
    Rick's have 2 truss rods. If one is tighter than the other, you may get a slight warp. It may just be a simple rod tweek.

13. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    If the neck is ok, that's a ridiculous deal...you could sell the bass for way more if you don't dig it. Unless the pawn shop is far in the boondocks, I can't imagine that sitting around for more than a couple of days.

Marshall

14. GabeN

GabeN

Feb 27, 2006
    Chugiak, AK
    It's in Anchorage Alaska (where I live), so I guess you could call it the boondocks. I tried out some other basses today and the only other one I liked was a Fender Aerodyne Jazz. So, I'll either be getting a jazz bass or (probably) the Ric.