1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ric 4003 setup issue

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by factorplayer, May 25, 2011.

1. I like to have relatively low action on my strings, but they tend to hit the pickup poles while I'm playing which is very distracting... maybe a bit of a playing technique issue but anything to recommend on the setup side?

2. lethargytartare

lethargytartare

Sep 7, 2004
    Chicago
    Are the pickups lowered as far as they can go?

3. I think so... which screws adjust the pickup height?

4. lethargytartare

lethargytartare

Sep 7, 2004
    Chicago
    Look for screws that are in line with the pickups -- so for the neck pup it's the two that are in the pickguard, and for the bridge, it's the two that are similarly positioned, but in the metal cage or whatever that's called.

I saw one other reference to adjustable pole pieces -- if yours has those, you can use those if just some strings are hitting.

Hopefully some ric owners will jump in with corrections (if I've misstated it) or more detail.

Good luck!
    ltt

5. Jools4001

Jools4001 Supporting Member

The strings are most likely hitting the bridge pup pole pieces before the neck pup ones, but the two big srews either side of the bridge pup should lower it until it's lower than the pup surround if necessary.

The neck pup has less adjustment but the two screws either side should still allow some leeway

6. Will lowering the pickup affect the output any? Not that that would hurt, this particular Ric has always been pretty hot going into the amp.

7. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    Certainly it will.