Ric 4003 truss adjustment ???s

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Metal Mitch, Sep 10, 2003.

1. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    Howdy Ric-slingers - on the 4003 truss rods, how much of the rod should be sticking up above the adjustment nut?

The picture on the Ric website service page shows the top of the rod almost flush with the top of the nut. The 4003 I just picked up has about 1/4" sticking up past the top of one hexnut, and 5/16" above the other one. Is this normal?

I'm not sure a nut driver socket would even be deep enough to fit over that protrusion and grab the hexnut.

I called Ric looking for the truss adjustment hexnut wrench, and when I told the guy about it he asked if the rods had come loose from the other end! He suggested I may have to remove the hexnuts and rethread the rods back into the bottom end.

Since I can still take it back for a refund, he suggested I just do that. But I'm not sure I want to give up this axe, it's the only Ric I've ever tried that felt "right" to me.

Any experienced Ric techs out there? What do you guys think, is this a serious problem with the truss rods?

2. kutz

Mar 19, 2003
    Orange County CA
    Can you hear the truss rods vibrating in the neck while playing un-amped? If so and it's still returnable, maybe you can get the place you bought it from to pay to have it fixed.

I've got a 4001 with this problem. The truss rods rattle, but the neck is straight and you can't hear the vibrations through the amp. I'd get it fixed if I had the cash and knew of a repair guy that was competent.
  3. Jeb

Jul 22, 2001
    How does the bass play? How's the action? If your only problem is that your bass does not look the same as a website picture, don't 'fret' it. If the rod/nut ends were indeed flush, that would tell you that you're out of room to add relief to the neck if you needed to do that. 1/4" and 5/16" rod height above the nut is certainly not excessive and, in fact, sounds about right to me. You're in good shape. My old 4001 would appear to be similar to what you have described and is a great bass, fret wear notwithstanding.
    Enjoy the bass, Rickenbackers are wonderfully unique instruments in many aspects and your gonna love it.
  4. For what it's worth, one of the rods on my relatively new 4003 sticks out considerably farther than the other one.

The neck is very stable, I have no tuning problems, and the action is good.

5. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    its so good on my ric 4003..i haven't even looked...lol

6. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    Thanks for the replies guys but it's a done deal - I took it back to Sam's @$$ tonight and got my money back.

The action wasn't good and there was way too much relief but the rods didn't rattle. I couldn't get it set up well enough for my liking and I've been doing my own setups for 20+ years.

Both Rickenbacker and the Rick forum mod over at the Dudepit seemed to think the neck was hosed. According to Dave W at the Dudepit, the rods shouldn't stick out more than about 1/16" over the top of the hexnut, and the 4003 is designed for good low action with virtually no relief.

If the tech from SA had never touched it, I might still have the bass. Unfortunately I learned 2 things from this drama I already knew - 1) there's ALWAYS something wrong with a Ric, no matter how good it seems, and 2) NEVER buy anything from SA. :meh: