1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

RIC 4003 Tuned to B, but not much low end

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by MoD_Scotty, Sep 14, 2012.

1. MoD_Scotty

MoD_Scotty

Jul 22, 2007
    Thrapston, UK
    So I finally got a RIC (an '07 4003), and I love it. Then I strung it with a 130 and tuned it to drop B to play in my metal band. The tone is awesome. The bass plays great. BUT...it doesn't seem to have the low end of my backup bass (an Ibanez EDB500, which is a passive bass with two humbuckers). So should I keep playing with the EQ(s) on my amp rig? Or do I need a more modern pickup? From what I've been reading, the best options are the Bartolinis (6RT/6RC) or the Joe Bardens (R4000).

And just FYI, here's my amp setup:
    Sansamp RBI preamp
    BBE Sonic Maximizer
    Crown XS700 power amp
    (Currently running it through a Trace Elliot 4x10" at our rehearsal space, I normally run Avatar 4x10/2x10 cabs)

Anyone got any ideas?

Pic related, it's my RIC
    2012-09-08_01-10-26_520.

2. Luckie

Luckie

Jan 1, 2010
    Northfield MN
    Have you raised the pickup closer to the string? If that doesn't solve it maybe some thicker strings might do. And if that doesn't fix it new pickups would be the next step.

3. ampegfuzz

ampegfuzz Supporting Member

Feb 13, 2007
    Davenport, IA
    It has the push pull pot for the tone cap, See if that is engaged. Those newer pickups are single coil (I think) but fairly hot and are supposed to have the most low end of all ric pickups.

EDIT: i just looked up that edb500 it says its active

4. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    +1 on checking the status of the low end-killing cap on the bridge pickup of the ric.

ric pickups are pretty much always single coil. "hot" ric singles will be nothing compared to typical soapbar humbuckers.

if that ibby is indeed active, it's gonna have a massive low end boost from the preamp, which the ric isn't gonna get anywhere close to. (the ric will likely sound better in the mix though.)

5. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

RIcs aren't exactly known for thunderous lows.

6. MoD_Scotty

MoD_Scotty

Jul 22, 2007
    Thrapston, UK
    I have adjusted the pole height of the RIC pickups. I will raise them a little more, but I don't want them so close to the strings that they end up making contact.

I've also messed around with the push/pull...I was making sure it was in the "modern" setting. In the vintage setting, it's straight old school RIC treble.

The EDB500 is passive, but has an "active boost," which is controlled by a knob, which I almost always have all the way off. It is definitely not a legitimate active setup.

7. You're basically just running into the single coil vs humbucker sound. Singles are clear and bright, humbuckers are thick and loud. If you want your Rick to sound like your other bass you'll have to get humbuckers or an active preamp to boost the lows.

8. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

9. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    Be careful! Some Ricks do not have adjustable poles, even if they look like they do. If they have the plastic bobbin on the bridge pickup, then you can raise the poles.

For the older style pickup adjusting the pole will ruin the pickup.

I would also not raise the poles because it moves the pole farther away from the magnet, which will make the field weaker over the pole.

Go with Ric5's suggesting and get an EQ pedal.

10. iunno

iunno

Dec 16, 2010
    You might want to try soloing the bridge pickup, the neck pup is pretty high for a b string. You can roll off the neck volume a bit and roll the tone off to add bass, too.

11. MoD_Scotty

MoD_Scotty

Jul 22, 2007
    Thrapston, UK
    I'll try that out. Thanks!

12. MAybe it's the RBI. I tune mine to D standard and run through an SVT and can get some big bottom end growl.

13. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    The after market bridge pickup surround looks nice but it restricts the movement of the bridge pickup. With that thing installed you can't get the pickup as close to the strings.

Also are you plugging a mono cable in the Ric-o-sound jack? This will effectively isolate the bridge pickup.

Also are you engauging the vintage tone circuit by pulling the tone knob? This will remove all bass from the bridge pickup.

Also how close is your neck pickup to the strings? On some Ricks you need to remove the rubber grommets between the pickguard and the pickup to get the pickup high enough.

Also chek the wiring and see if both pickups are working correctly.

A 4003 should have a loud and full tone with plenty of bass, treble and mids.

14. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    +1

D standard is a great way to tune a 4 string bass.

15. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    Perhaps you should try a 4004.

rickenbacker_4004_fg.

Or put 4004 pickups in your 4003 ...