Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ric 4003 Vs. G&L L2500... Which one?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Yogi Bear, Mar 7, 2003.

1. Ric 4003

7 vote(s)
    36.8%
  2. G&L L2500

12 vote(s)
    63.2%
  1. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    Colorado
    I know that these have been done to death and ultimately the decision is going to be based on my feeling for the certain bass..... But, I would like to get the opinions of my fellow TB brothers and sisters. I'm pretty torn between the two.

As far as music styles, I for the most part play anything that interests me, but mostly I play in the vein of Peter Gabrial / Ozric Tentacles / Yes / Rush / Phish type music (if that makes sense). :p

FWIW I already own a 78' 4001 Fretless.

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    A 4 string vs a 5 string...

Since you have a fl 4001, go with the 5er...you'll have more tones available...

L2500s are yummy...I'd never really played a G&L until last weekend...now I want one!!!

3. I think Rics sound great and all, but the L2500 has so many different sounds, and that is why I bought it. I love the vast amount of great sounding tones it has.

As for the Ric I voted against, it does play beautifully, but my vote goes to G&L

4. The Rick does what it does, but I'd think if you were trying to cover a wide range, the L2500 would be the stronger choice.

Mike

5. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I already have an L-2500 and I LOVE the rick tone to death, but if I had to buy one now, Id go with another L-2500 just to have a back-up.

That's how great they are!

Peace
    Nick

6. Pet

Pet Guest

Mar 8, 2003
    all over
    It seems to me that you are all morons. :spit: Of course the Rickenbacker prevails above all instruments. There is no other bass on the market that can produce the exceptional tone and groove-ablity of the epic Ric.

7. Different strokes, I s'pose. I've owned three Ricks, and don't own one now.

Mike

8. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    I would go with the Rick because if you plan on keeping and playing your fretless, going back and forth will be much easier. The string spacing on the L-2500 is VERY narrow and the transition may be awkward and then of course the obvious difference of going from a 4 to a 5. Just my opinion.