1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ric 4003 Vs. G&L L2500... Which one?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Yogi Bear, Mar 7, 2003.

1. Ric 4003

7 vote(s)
    36.8%
  2. G&L L2500

12 vote(s)
    63.2%
  1. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    Colorado
    I know that these have been done to death and ultimately the decision is going to be based on my feeling for the certain bass..... But, I would like to get the opinions of my fellow TB brothers and sisters. I'm pretty torn between the two.

As far as music styles, I for the most part play anything that interests me, but mostly I play in the vein of Peter Gabrial / Ozric Tentacles / Yes / Rush / Phish type music (if that makes sense). :p

FWIW I already own a 78' 4001 Fretless.

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    A 4 string vs a 5 string...

Since you have a fl 4001, go with the 5er...you'll have more tones available...

L2500s are yummy...I'd never really played a G&L until last weekend...now I want one!!!

3. I think Rics sound great and all, but the L2500 has so many different sounds, and that is why I bought it. I love the vast amount of great sounding tones it has.

As for the Ric I voted against, it does play beautifully, but my vote goes to G&L

4. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    The Rick does what it does, but I'd think if you were trying to cover a wide range, the L2500 would be the stronger choice.

Mike

5. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I already have an L-2500 and I LOVE the rick tone to death, but if I had to buy one now, Id go with another L-2500 just to have a back-up.

That's how great they are!

Peace
    Nick

6. Pet

Pet Guest

Mar 8, 2003
    all over
    It seems to me that you are all morons. :spit: Of course the Rickenbacker prevails above all instruments. There is no other bass on the market that can produce the exceptional tone and groove-ablity of the epic Ric.

7. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Different strokes, I s'pose. I've owned three Ricks, and don't own one now.

Mike

8. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    I would go with the Rick because if you plan on keeping and playing your fretless, going back and forth will be much easier. The string spacing on the L-2500 is VERY narrow and the transition may be awkward and then of course the obvious difference of going from a 4 to a 5. Just my opinion.