Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ric 4003 - what strings are you using?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JoeYello, Mar 17, 2006.

1. JoeYello

JoeYello

Sep 18, 2002
    New Jersey
    I have only ever used Rotosound Rounds on my Ric. I think it's time for a change.

What strings are you using and for what type of music?

I play original rock, new wavy, punk power pop.;)

..........I had this in the strings forum but deleted it and re-posted in this section....

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I use D'Addarios on everything.

3. anyonefortennis

anyonefortennis Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    Well, I use rotosounds too. If it ain't broken...

4. JoeYello

JoeYello

Sep 18, 2002
    New Jersey
    Flats or rounds? I have a couple of sets of flats lying around and that is what I am considering. I am wondering what it would do to the tone of the Ric?

5. RandallFlagg

RandallFlagg Guest

Aug 18, 2003
    Kansas City
    It's sort of weird, but I use D'Addarios on everything except my Ric.....I really like the Ric Strings so I just reorder them...if it ain't broke....

6. anyonefortennis

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    yeah. Ric strings are great too. I just send mine to ric for some warranty repairs and they set it up with a fresh set of string and I love it. Not sure if it's that 'new string' feel or what but I'm not missing rotosounds quite yet.

7. anyonefortennis

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    See McCartney, Paul.

8. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    I just changed the strings on my Ric for the first time. I knew it had Rotosounds, but I wasn't sure about the gauge. I bought Rotosound "Swing 66's" (something like that). The "E" and "A" strings are heavier and I hated them. I liked the Rotosounds that came on the Ric. I think they sound great and are the perfect gauge.

9. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    The stock strings on a Ric *are* Rotosounds aren't they? If not, you have to order the strings from Rickenbacker?

10. anyonefortennis

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
  11. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    ...I used to use heavy flatwounds...

~S~

12. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

TI Powerbass.

I like the Ric growl, and they deliver it. :D

13. DR Sunbeams.

Bright with rich mids, just like a Rick should sound.

With my Mesa Bass 400, or even my GK 800RB, I can get really close to Paul D'Amour's "Undertow" tone...

My sound is also heavily influenced by FNM, and the Cure also....

Sunbeams Rock...I tried DR Lo-Riders, Nickel Lo-Riders, Hi-Beams, Ernie Ball Hybrid Slinky's, and Daddarios on this bass, and I've only had it for a about a year:eek:

I've tried many other strings on my other basses, but I am definately staying with Sunbeams....they are both bright and warm, and have the richest harmonics of any string I've tried, and they're really smooth and last long too!(9 months so far).:bassist:

14. paul n

paul n

May 6, 2005
    Arden, NC
    NO! From what I've read, the two companies aren't wild about each other, especialy Rick about Roto. Back in the Late 60's and the 70's Rickenbackers were designed to be used with low-tension Maxima flat-wounds. The truss rods were buit really light, just enough for the low-tension strings. When the relatively high-tension Roto's hit the scene and EVERYONE started using them, Rick necks started warping left and right. This was due to a combination of the higher tension and the fact that probably 80% of Rick owners never read the mannual on how to adjust the trussrods properly. Granted if you take your time and set up an old 70's Rick with Roto's properly you should be fine, most people didn't though. As a result of all this, Rickenbacker decided that putting Rotosound strings on your new 4001 voided the waratee. Of course that didn't stop any one, especially when two of the three top Rick players in the 70's were using Rotos, and Rick finnaly introduced the 4003 with modern trussrods and (originaly) slightly bigger neck.

I've also read that some of the animosity came from Rickenbackers (suposed) use of softer fret-wire, which when combined with Roto's rougher stainless steel windings created rapid frett-wear. John Hall denies this was the case. I don't know, I am inclined to believe the softer fret-wire story. When I got my former '79 4001 the first thing I did was have the frets leveled and I used flats for quite a while before trying rounds again. A set of nickle round-wound Carl Thompson strings didn't produce any noticable wear for the month they were on the bass, but a set of Rotos did show some noticable wear after the same amount of time. I LOVED the Roto's too

Honestly, these days I wouldn't worry about frett wear, Rick uses the same wire everyone else does now and it's quite a bit bigger than their old fret-wire.

If you like what you have I say stick with it, if you NEED a change, try the Rickenbacker strings, they're nickle rather than steel and a bit lowwer tension. The guages are 45-105 but the two middle strings are a bit lighter compared to other sets in that guage range.

Good luck!

~Paul :)

15. Have you tried Elixir Nanowebs?

I play a range of styles from jazz to blues to rock. although some complain that they can sound a little 'dull' (I'm not one of them) they last a long time with little fall-off in tone quality.

They're relatively expensive though.

16. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    I knew there was a reason I joined TB. I could swear I read in my owner's manual that it was strung with Rotosounds, but anyway - you mentioned something I wasn't aware of - it must be the "nickel" that I like, along with the gauge Rics come with. Like I said, I absolutely LOVE the strings that came on it - especially compared to the Rotosound swing bass (what the hell is swing bass? - like you're "bi" or something) 66's. Not for me at all. This thread helped me BIG TIME!

Thanks - Skel

17. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Ok, $35.00 bucks and I need to "allow 3 weeks" -kind of pricey, but worth it compared to the crappy Rotosounds. I hope they're kidding about the 3 weeks.

Skel

18. teleharmonium

teleharmonium

Dec 2, 2003
    I've always used Rotosound on Rics until recently when I tried some Ken Smith Compressors, which I am liking very well. I think I am going to stay with them at least for a while. They're easier on frets and fingers, and I think I like the sound of the lowest notes better. It's sort of like a 75% Ric/25% P bass sound.

19. bassistjo

bassistjo

Jun 22, 2005
    I use DR Lowriders there great for everything

20. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Actually I should not have been critical of Rotosounds, I just don't care for the Steel Swingbass 66's. I'm sure they are good strings and lord knows great players use or used them.

Skel