Ric 4003

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BaldBass, Aug 19, 2005.

1. I don't want to sound like an idiot, but can someone tip me off on where I can locate the serial # on a Ric 4003. I just picked up a used one and would love to go to the Ric website and research it. I looked on the website and couldn't locate the number in any of the suggested locations. If one of you Ric veterans could steer me in the right direction I'd be grateful. By the way she plays sweet.
  2. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    It's stamped on the input jack plate where you plug your cord in.

3. I was afraid of that....either the jack plate has been replaced or I have a really good counterfeit
  4. Sutton

Mar 3, 2005
    Plainwell, MI
    Is it a neck thru or bolt on? Because about 80% of the fakes are bolt ons. All Rics are Neck Thru
  5. loendmaestro

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    Sorry for the incorrect reply earlier...I quickly skimmed your post & thought you were looking for a serial # decoder.

99% of 4000 series Ricks are neck through - I believe there were a few set neck 4000/4001s in the late 70's early 80's.

The 2000 & 3000 series are all bolt on.

Does it have a stereo output?
  6. yes neck through double truss rod, if it's a fake it's extremly well done. I bought it from a dealer and if it's a fake it's fooled both of us. The only thing I can see that doesn't seem quite right is the jack plate ( no serial number) and the two outputs are marked "stereo" and "standard" not "Ric O sound"I tried to post a few pics but I can't seem to but I'll be happy to send a few to you via email if you can help me determine what I've got
  7. Anti_Wish

May 14, 2004
    Boston, Ma
    try the rickenbacker forum.

ask for sergio... he is the guy that can spot a fake a mile away!
  8. I have a 4003 from the early 80's and it does have a six digit serial number stamped into the jack plate. two on the rick-o-sound side and four more on the standard side of the jack.
    right in-between the mounting screws.

It looks like you can order just about every piece of the bass hardware right from Ric's web site. Everything except the jack plate for the obvious reasons. You can even order a new truss rod cover with the logo which I found to be odd.

Hope everything turns out okay.
  9. Jason Brown

Jason Brown Supporting Member

May 1, 2000
    SLC, UT
    You do have to send in your original to get one, though.
  10. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Do you have a photo or two of the bass that you can post here?

Greco made a great neck-threw copy. With some minor mods, they can be very difficult to identify.

Here's a photo of a copy of a 70's 4001.

This is why RIC have their parts policies in place. Some unique parts are either unavailable from RIC or the old part must be returned to them before they'll ship you the new part. This is particularly true of the Rickenbacker Truss Rod Cover.

It's very possible that the store or individual that sold you the bass did not know it's a clone, should it turn out to be one.

11. Way too many questions about this bass, I took it back to the dealer. He refunded my money, said he was totally unaware that anyone counterfeited these basses. My B.S. detector went off...
    He told me he bought it at an auction and believes the jack plate might have been changed because it might be stolen....When I asked him if he suspected it might have been hot he replied well yeah...I won't be buying anything else from him. I ordered a brand new 4003 today from sameday music.com I should have done so from the begining. Oh well live and learn....thanks for your input on this matter, and the folks at Ric couldn't have been more helpful...Thanks to all and to all a good Ric