Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

RIC 4003

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LAW, Sep 17, 2005.

1. LAW

LAW

Jun 23, 2005
    Can one of the Ric players out there tell me if the 4003 model is active or passive. I can't find the info anywhere and it's pissin' me off.
    Thanks in advance.

"Bury me with all my stuff...because you know that it is mine..."
    -Master Shake

2. xring

xring

Sep 16, 2003
    Ohio
    The 4003 is passive. No batteries allowed.

3. Actives don't growl like that...

:bag:

4. Turlu

Turlu Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Ottawa, Ontario CANADA
    Kink is right on.

If you want some growl, you are better served with passive pickups and the Ric 4003 will give you that and more !!!

5. loendmaestro

loendmaestro

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr....clank.......snarl......growl.......

All tasty Rick goodness!!

6. LAW

LAW

Jun 23, 2005
    So would the Ric work with my current amp? It is a Hartke combo amp. At the moment I play an Ibanez gsr200 and all I have to do is plug right into the amp. No heads or anything due to the active electronics on the bass. What say you all?

7. Short answer. yes

8. KPJ

KPJ

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
    Hmm.. OK, you are a little confused on a few things, but that's OK, everyone has to start somewhere!

Your combo amp is called a combo because it is a combination of a head and a speker cabinet. So, you actually have a head, it's just part of your combo. "Head" is just a term used to describe an integrated preamp/poweramp. You can plug a Rick 4003 right into your combo and get a great sound. The active controls in your Ibanez are just an additional tone shaping stage that uses active circuitry. The vol/vol/tone/tone/3-way switch on the 4003 is a passive tone shaping circuit.

Hope this helps.

9. LAW

LAW

Jun 23, 2005
    Ok, so active vs. passive has to do with the tone shaping. That is extremely helpful as far as info goes. So what exactly does an onboard preamp do? Man am I confused about electronics. Would that mean that with an onboard preamp, a person could plug right into a speaker cabinet? Ha, noob all the way my friends. If anyone wants to give me a rundown, feel free.

"Bury me with all my stuff... because you know that it is mine..."
    -Master Shake

10. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    Short answer:
    Passive tone control-rolls off treble, IOW with the tone control maxxed the EQ is flat, turn down the tone knob and you remove treble, no boosting
    Active tone control-boosts or cuts treble(or bass if it's the bass tone control) Tone control in the middle is flat, turn one way to reduce treble(or bass), turn the other way to boost.

11. Side-question for this issue...

Does Rickenbacker even make a bass with actives? :confused: It's been a while and mine's a 4001, passive.

Just curious.

12. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    I think the 4004 might be active, but if that's the case, it's the only one. As for growl, I have a MM Sabre and an active Jazz that get me it in spades.

13. No, but you could probably plug straight into a poweramp... you wouldn't have enough volume/power just from the onboard preamp to make much if any sound out of a cab directly.

14. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    Here's my short version:

Active basses are a bit more complicated, you gotta use batteries, and...they don't make it sound better. Of course, that's just my opinion.

15. Ok, the bass you are using has absolutely NOTHING to do with what kind of amp you can use. Think of the amp and bass as two completely seperate things. One having or not having a specific feature will have no effect on the other and weather or not they can be used together.

As far as your bass goes, "active" means that is has an onboard preamp, and onboard preamps use batteries which is why having one on your bass makes it "active". An onboard preamp gives you more controll over the tone and allows you to tweak it more precisely. If it is passive, it has no onboard preamp and does not use batteries. The main difference between these is tone.

As far as amps go there are realy two parts, the Head and the Cabinent or "Cab"; the Head being the part that gives you the tone controll for your amp as well as the power to amplify the speaker, and the Cab simply being the wooden box containing the speaker. A combo is called such because it combines both of these parts into one piece.

16. The 4004 is passive.

I believe the 2030 and 2060 was active. At least i seen/heard of active ones.

17. Rics and Hartke go well together, IMHO - though one of these two blew my 1x15 cab out. I replaced it with an Ashdown 4x10 and all is well.

[​IMG]