Ric 4004-to buy or not to buy?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by GabeN, Feb 28, 2006.

1. GabeN

Feb 27, 2006
    Chugiak, AK
    Okay, so I went to the pawn shop today to look at a Ric 4004 I've seen there before. The shop said it had a warped neck which after close inspection is true. It's the 4004C Cheyenne model. They want 700 bucks for it, but I got them down to $480.

Okay, here's my main questions:

1. The neck is warped a bit. It kind of does a clockwise twist looking down it from the body side. The head also is warped up very slightly. Can these be fixed by adjusting the truss rod? Is there another fix if it can't fixed with the truss rods?

2. For $480 is it worth getting? Other than the neck it's in good shape.
  2. i dont know 480 seems like a really nice price for that bass. i'm not really sure if it could be fix or how much it may cost, but from what i understand those basses are well over a grand.
  3. sublimate

Jan 12, 2006
    It has two truss rods, so you may be able to fix a little twist just by adjusting them. If not it can still probably be fixed, and for $480 it might be worth it.
  4. Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    My opinion? Buy a new 4003 in your favorite color for $999.00. That's a bargain. It will have a nice hardshell case, smell new, and you'll have fun with it right away. I know it's twice the price as the one you're looking at, but it's WELL worth it.

5. incubus2432

Mar 21, 2002
    Grafton, Ohio
    A slight twist should come out pretty easy with a truss rod adjustment and that may bring the headstock back in line as well.

If you get it and have problems getting it straightened out just drop me an email and I'll buy it off of you for what you paid. I certainly would not pass up getting another 4004Ci for less than $500 unless it is a complete wreck. Keep my email just in case.....I'm a vulture!

6. GabeN

Feb 27, 2006
    Chugiak, AK
    Okay, looks like I'm gonna pony up the money and buy it. Thanks for the responces guys! I love those Rics, Incubus. I'll definitely drop you a line if things don't work it with the Rick.
  7. sublimate

Jan 12, 2006

No more 4004s for Brian!
    Send it to me instead.
  8. Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Second to left Rick in the picture...

Oi crap, thats a beauty.

Have fun with the Rick, and learn to do setups in the process!