Ric 4004 vs 4003 or 4001

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lawndart, Aug 10, 2004.

1. lawndart

Oct 4, 2003
    Northern NJ
    I am trying to find out the difference between them....I had an 81 4001 but i sold it very hastely. Then agan it did have some spotty signal output...it was never sounded solid and it would cut in and out. Anyway seeing that the 4004 has different PUs; how is the sound different from say a 4001 or 4003?
  2. keb

Mar 30, 2004
    The 4004 will generally sound a little darker because those pickups are humbuckers as opposed to the singlecoils in 4001/4003 models. Unless you tap the coils or something. ;)

I've never played one but the general consensus from 4004 players is "it's definitely a Rick, but it's got its own thing going."
  3. bargainhunter

Jul 28, 2004
    excerpt from bunnybass interview with Rickenbacker's owner (who is also a bassist, incidentally!!)

bunnybass: How would you describe the sonic differences between the 4001/4003 type basses and the 4004?

John Hall: They are a little different sounding, there has been some evolution there. The 4004 provides a more "high-fidelity" type response. The 4001 and 4003 instruments were very definitely a particularly polished, very identifiable sound. All you have to do is listen to Chris Squire and you know what that sound is. The 4004 can pretty much cover that sound but it can also cover the sounds that other instruments put out. It's a little more versatile. It's a lot quieter as well. It has higher output, but it's almost dead quiet because it is a humbucking type pickup. It's probably also a little warmer sounding. Certainly if you're into bite and attack and the Geddy Lee-type sound, probably the 4004 isn't going to be the instrument for you, but if you're like most bass players that have to cover a wide gamut of sounds, the 4004 is much more versatile and it certainly records much better.
  4. lawndart

Oct 4, 2003
    Northern NJ
    thank you bargainhunter....that type of review was what i was looking for.