1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ric and Ric-Clone Owners: HELP ME DECIDE UPGRADES

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Johnny Crab, Mar 12, 2010.

1. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab HELIX user & BOSE Abuser

Feb 11, 2004
    Texas
    Never had a Ric or Ric-Clone so those who've gone before, please help.
    Thanks in advance.

Just got a new-to-me Greco PMB(1978 clone of Paul McCartney's bass but right-handed). It has the flat headstock(not angled) like the 60's version. Front pickup is a Ric toaster, rear is either a later model Ric pickup(rounded tops) or a clone. It came at a good price with some issues so I've a few questions.

What's been done to make it playable live:
    1) StrapLocs(neck heel location like Lemmy, left the horn button stock)
    2) Did the Crazy Glue + baking soda repair on the nut for the A string
    3) Set the action a bit higher, verified trussrod not broken or stuck

Remaining issues/questions/what I'm thinking of doing:
    Pickup switch is fubar'd and returns to center position. This will be replaced.
    For any of you who have done this, is Allparts OK or suggest a source.

Bridge is old style with no adjustments for individual string height. Is the Hipshot direct replacement bridge a good choice to fix this? Brass(chrome) or aluminum? I'm leaning towards brass for added mass back there.

Vol pot for the neck pickup needs replacing. No problem. Is standard Allparts of the same ohms OK or are there better options?

Should the wiring be modified to include the magical(or not) capacitor number three(C3 in diagrams) between the pickup switch and the treble volume control or is that a waste of useful output?

After the above, this bass will sound super close and be "issue free" mostly.
    It WILL produce the sound it was bought for(already does that).

Optional Mod:
    Since basses here MUST perform(i.e. be playable, useful) and not just "collected", this mod is being strongly considered. Background info played 1960's Gibson Thunderbirds(mahogany) for almost 2 decades, my current MAPLE-bodied basses have very similar pickups in them(Greco T-Bird pickups) and sound amazing.

I'm considering putting a 60's Gibson T-Bird pickup or Mike Lull copy of one in between the two existing pickups. I'm very aware of what is involved(got my 1st bass in 1965) and in no way want to destroy this bass, only make it better. My current basses have 3 T-Bird pickups in them with V-V-V controls. Tone is controlled by varying pickup(s) and playing location(s). I'm very used to this setup. IF this bass has a T-Bird pickup added, should the wiring be:

V-V-V-T(master tone)
    V-V-V direct with tone control not used

Not decided if any switching setup will be installed or if it will be left disconnected.

The 1978 pickguard(controls & all) will be removed and replaced
    with aftermarket pickguard + parts for this mod.
    That way IF this bass EVER wants to look "normal" again, it can.

Thanks for any and all suggestions.
    JC

2. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 25, 2020