Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

RIC basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Walbassman, Jun 10, 2004.

1. Walbassman

Walbassman

Nov 27, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    How many of you here actually USE your RICs live? Now I know that there are a number of you who have the basses but using them them live is usually another story. I have a couple and I am starting to use them more and more. I have others obviously, but what reaction do a lot of you get when you play a RIC live? Where I live, there are very few and I NEVER see one live (unless I am playing)

Thoughts???

2. lawndart

lawndart

Oct 4, 2003
    Northern NJ
    i invited mine out to play when i had it. One show i had a gushing bloody nose and played through 2 songs with my nose dripping all over the bass...the show had to go on. after the show i looked at the Ric and you could have passed it off as a crime scene weapon.
    When i played it at shows eveyone was like :eek: that is awsome, especially my friends that were in the audience that played bass in other bands.

3. Walbassman

Walbassman

Nov 27, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    So why do you think that they are not used a lot for live now? I am just curious since I have reacquired a few...I am planning on playing them live a lot. My other basses can go back to being studio instruments.

4. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    I dig on Rics. Although I don't have one YET, I think they have a cool stage presence. Also the RIC tone is just too cool.

Play it!

P.S. everytime I plan on getting one I end up buying something else. Basically because I find something thats kind of a "better get it now or else" type situation. I mean I can always get a RIC, but some of the other deals I had to jump on.

5. lawndart

lawndart

Oct 4, 2003
    Northern NJ
    theres a couple of Rics being played in the NNJ area. Maybe because they're expensive compared to MIM Ps or Js. Most of the musicians flock to Guitar Centers so its what they have on the walls which dictate what is being played. Plus alot of the punk/rock bands i guess tend to think that Fenders are 'the bass' to play? And bringing a MIM or MIA P or J to a club vs a Ric you dont have to worry about it being stolen or banged into. Just my thoughts

altough everytime i saw one being played live they sounded like crap. could be the player or the soundguy but more often than not their notes sounded to chunky and a bit choked. i never liked the sound mine gave and i never got used to it so i sold it. do i reget it?......... sometimes.

6. Walbassman

Walbassman

Nov 27, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    I can understand the note sound thing. I have had to work a little at getting a tone that I really like. I grabbed a bass pod pro and there are some sneaky little tones in it that I really am digging on. The true test will be this weekend because I am starting a record and the person I am working for is used to my MM 5 and I told him that I would be bringing the arsenal for this and he kinda chuckled...RICs are about to be recorded. I am fascinated to hear how these sounds translate to pro tools. I worked out a sound that meets Chris Squire and Geddy somewhere in the middle. I do not use a pick so it should be most interesting.

7. I bought my Ric right after seeing Motorhead and Slayer on the same bill. It never sounded the way I imagine the classic Ric sound to be. It also didn't play the way I wanted it to play. Every once in a while I miss it, but not that often.

8. lawndart

lawndart

Oct 4, 2003
    Northern NJ

thats sooo funny!!! Me too! I had Lemmy's sound in my head all the time and all i got was a 'chunk' out of mine (wow that rhymes). Then i see he uses Marshall 4x12s for that distortion sound.

9. inoculation

inoculation

May 9, 2004
    well where I live you get 2 kinds of local music Country or hardcore. With country they usually just play a stand up. I personally wouldnt play a Ric (or anything else worth more than $500) at a hardcore show because they are pretty violent and breaking stuff is not uncommon

10. If you like the bright Rotosound tone for rock the Ric is hard to beat.They cut through very well and sound sweet on quiet passages,every note rings out.They don't do country very well and also don't do funk great either.I played one as my main bass in the 70's and it was great but wasn't very versitile.I'd love to have one for rock but we do mostly blues and it just wouldn't fit.

11. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Many people are kind of surprised (myself included when I got mine) that when they get a new Rick, it doesn't quite sound like the classic Geddy or Squire tone. That's because Rick winds their pickups a lot hotter these days; you get more output and low-frequency response at the expense of clarity and some of the treble twang so evident on older records (though parts of it are obviously the other equipment involved and of course the player.) RIC also used to put a .0047 capacitor in series with the bridge pickup, cutting low-end from that pickup's tone (they haven't put that cap in for around 16 or so years now.)

On topic: I use mine live. :cool:

12. FWIW, although it's not impossible to snap a Ric headstock, it is one of the stronger ones made, with the maple, the laminations, the truss rods...

13. Walbassman

Walbassman

Nov 27, 2002
    Nashville, TN

Cool. I have one that is a 79 and the person before me removed the capacitor and it sounds a lot more live. I am going to sit down at a local music store that has a new one and compare. According to John Hall of RIC, the wire gauge is still the same just wound more for a hotter sound. I have a friend in a Rush tribute band here and he is using a new one and he can get Ged's sound by running that bass into a SansAmp. I am using the Bass Pod Pro and it gets close...I have 2 more RICs coming...

14. Walbassman

Walbassman

Nov 27, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    I have seen it done. ESPECIALLY when someone does not understand how the trussrod system works. It is not a pretty sight...

15. I've seen it done as well, however the trussrods really shouldn't have a lot to do with any headstock injuries. Fretboard casualties... :meh:

16. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    My friend has a new RIC and its the first one I had a chance to play. I love it but not as much as my jazz bass. I think I might use it at our next show. They have a great tone and the looks always turn heads.

17. Walbassman

Walbassman

Nov 27, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    Sometimes the adjustments that people make to the trussrods are cause for alarm which CAN lead to a headstock break. I have had a couple of RICs in the past where poeple attempt to route the channel at the headstock where the trussrods are inserted. This routing causes instability in the headstock and top of the neck and causes the rods to become inactive, they can no longer do their jobs. Those same people were not careful with the router and the headstocks become cracked where they routed and they become lovely firewood. The 2 that I have had which were done this way had to be repaired and the only way to repair the breaks in the wood was to epoxy the rods in and inject some into the wood for stability. every time I get a RIC now, I pull the TRC and survey the rods before doing any kind of deal.

18. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I used to see many more BC Rich's being played in the 80's then compared to now. I guess their not for everyone.

19. Walbassman

Walbassman

Nov 27, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    They always turn heads because they are not as common among the musicians and people are fascinated because they look so unique.

20. astar

astar

Jun 10, 2004
    I have a silver '81. It's my understanding that this color is pretty rare and was only produced for several years in the early 80's. I have had several comments from guys that have never seen this color before.