1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

ric binding flaw???? help!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Thrasher, Apr 2, 2009.

1. okay soo if you guys could help me with this it would be much appreciated....

so my new ric is great and all and i just had one more question about it.... has anyone ever had this problem

[​IMG]

the binding has all these little bumps over almost every fret on the top part. the worst one is around my third fret which appears cracked.... what do ya guys think of this???:help:

2. Thingus995

Thingus995

May 30, 2008
    dang man hopefully you get all these things squared away

3. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I convert 4 string Rickenbackers to 5 string basses.
    That is the way they make them ... no big deal ...

4. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Dude, you're gonna make yourself sick worrying about every little thing and fixating on everything, looking for problems like you won't be satisifed until you find more. Either return it because you're not happy, or play the damn thing and enjoy it. I can't begin to imagine how you'll be if it gets knocked into and gets a dent.

5. willsellout

willsellout Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2002
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Sweetwater Sales Engineer
    Why, do they put the binding in and then fret it?

6. the blast

the blast

Jan 6, 2009
    Los Angeles
    I think possibly the fretboard has shrunk a tiny bit (my brand new Custom Shop P Bass did as well as it's a little dry where I live), leaving the frets protruding a tiny bit on either side. As a result, your binding appears to have bumps under it. If it's enough, the protruding frets could crack the binding. My brother had a Les Paul that did this when he moved to AZ & the binding cracked at every single fret. Hope this helps shed some light on your scenario.

-John

7. ha your right man its just the way ive been lately... ive been locked up inside my house for the last week because of my mouth surgery and i just had nothin to do but obsess about my bass... i was just wondering if anyone had this occurance with their rics

8. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I hear ya my man, I do, but it's not healthy. I will not say I've never been in your shoes, but it drove me nuts. This was many years ago. It's a big purchase, for sure, but it's not precious. You'll never be able to enjoy it until you can disconnect from it in this manner...obviously if it's a legitimate defect I'd be the last person to say "don't send it back" but is the binding separating from the neck? I'd be more concerned about that...but yeah, it's rough when it's new and *turns out less that you'd hoped* in a way...was this bass purchased used?

9. no the guitars brand new... theres no sign of the fretboard lifting off the neck though

10. yikes i didnt even know that was possible!:eek:

11. LowG

LowG

Dec 8, 2006
    Milwaukee, WI
    Did you contact Rickenbacker? Maybe they'll help you.

12. yeah il try but i dont know how theyll help it... errg!

13. BASS SUCKS

BASS SUCKS

Feb 3, 2009
    Dude just play.

14. willsellout

Aug 13, 2002
    Fort Wayne, IN
    It's made of wood. Wood can shrink in dry heat and expand in humid weather.

15. wow i cant believe that it could change that drastically.... yikes!

16. Thingus995

Thingus995

May 30, 2008
    i believe that's why case humidifiers are available

17. Georynn

Georynn

Dec 4, 2007
    Memphis,Tn
    they call it "fret sprout" its exactly like the others have said, the wood has dried a bit and shrank. The only way to fix it is to remove the binding, and sand down the fret ends, (after it has finished shrinking) and reglue the binding...
    Its more common on newer instruments, my Lakland Dj5 has a bit of it too...
    Dont worry about it, you dont really notice it when you are playing( at least I don't)

18. willsellout

Aug 13, 2002
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Yup it can. I know a few people who keep their instruments in humidity controlled rooms during drastic weather. I've never lived in a place that required it, but seeming as how the bass went from California to PA...it might have something to do with it, especially since it's on all the frets.

Give it some time, and maybe buy a humidifier.

Dan

19. man... :crying:

20. Georynn

Georynn

Dec 4, 2007
    Memphis,Tn
    Ah, put on your big boy pants and cheer up brother, it doesn't affect the playing at all...
    ;)