1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ric-copies?!?!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by billyshears, Feb 17, 2008.

1. billyshears

billyshears

Feb 17, 2008
    I'm looking to buy or trade a Ric-copy off someone let me know

2. And cue immense flame fest...

...now.

3. superfunk47

superfunk47

Sep 9, 2007
    now where did i leave my 10 foot pole?...

...there it is.

:bag:

4. Can I borrow yours? Mines a little charred from the last thread that was posted only a week or so ago.

5. superfunk47

superfunk47

Sep 9, 2007
    i think i might have a spare in my basement, lemme see...

yep, gotcha covered. *tosses pole and hides* :ninja:

6. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Hmmmmmm.........(?)

7. hartke20g

hartke20g

Apr 12, 2006
    miami, FL
    i'm going to assume you haven't had the 'pleasure' of dealing with the extremist Ric enthusiasts, or Rickenbacker themselves. basically, Ric has an airtight copyright over all of their instruments and trademarked designs. Ibanez made some Ric copies back the 70s-80s i think, known as the "lawsuit basses"; it's pretty obvious where they got their name. Ric also periodically scans e-bay looking for people selling Ric knock-offs and gets e-bay to terminate their listings because apparently, you can't make/spend any money on a Ric knock-off. so unless you physically buy or make a trade with someone in person (as in pay that person without using the internet), you're not going to have much luck finding a copy on the net.

now, quickly- HIDE!:bag:

8. Meev, how much are you asking for that? I've never seen a Ric relic, it might be time.

And basically yes, that whole spam at the beginning is about the fact that, for the most part, Ric owners are obsessive about keeping the Ric body design and style to Ric only. If you're quick you can email a seller on ebay and buy from them seperately before ebay terminates them.

9. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

There should be a stickie about never asking about Ric copies.

10. wdinc01

wdinc01

Nov 19, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    The first rule about the Ric copy club: Don't ever talk about the Ric copy club.

11. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    I'm going to assume that he has, since he just joined the board, and starting this thread is his only post.

12. I think I've seen some Aria Ric copies?

Steve

13. debassr

debassr

Jan 23, 2008
    Boston
    I think half the flaming happens because people post things like "here come the flames". It's almost like asking for it to happen.

We all need to expect that people on TB will do the right thing and NOT flame this guy. If it happens, it happens - the mods will deal with it - but let's try not to incite anything!

14. Herrlster

Herrlster

Oct 27, 2004
    Ontario, Canada
    No, making a ric copy thread is asking for it to happen.

15. +! Especially when there was a thread just a short while ago with the exact same question. I'll cut him some slack since it was his first post, but next time use the search feature.

16. Essthreetee

Essthreetee

Aug 19, 2007
    Visalia, CA
    Meev...PM sent.

17. debassr

debassr

Jan 23, 2008
    Boston
    Amazing. You ask for just a little restraint and get the exact opposite. Unsubscribed.

18. Herrlster

Herrlster

Oct 27, 2004
    Ontario, Canada
    Is this legal?

19. I know of two different brands that build, market, and sell Rickenbacker copies at the moment. Didn't think that would be possible, keeping history in mind, but obviously it is.

20. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

By "this" I assume you mean telling someone where they can pick up a Ric copy. I'd say yes. It's not illegal to sell something you own (providing you didn't steal it in the first place). Just because Rickenbacker doesn't like people selling clones doesn't mean you can't sell one you own -- providing you are not trying to pass it off as the real deal -- or legally buy one from someone.

Rickenbacker's quarrel is with the manufacturer of the clone bass, not the individual owner. Unfortunately for Ric (and us) most of the clone makers are no longer in business, so Ric has to go after the individual that owns one.