1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ric (copy?) on Craigslist

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by droo46, Aug 24, 2012.

1. droo46

droo46

Jun 16, 2011
    This ad was just posted on Craigslist. I'm fairly ignorant when it comes to vintage basses so I was wondering what you fine Ric connoisseurs could tell me about it.

http://eastidaho.craigslist.org/msg/3227308435.html

I've never played one or even seen one so I'm curious because...well, it's a Ric. However, in his ad he says it's a copy from the 70's. Enlighten me TB brothers!

2. RonChase

RonChase

Aug 15, 2008
    The Rickenbacker Co always shuts down companies that copy they're instruments. I have read about Ibanez and Univox copies of the Ric bass, I played a Ric for 10 years and would love to check out these copies

3. jordak

jordak

Apr 7, 2011
    Queens, NY
    The bolt on neckplate with made in Japan is a dead giveaway that it is, in fact, a copy. I have heard that like Tokai and a few others, "Lawsuit Ibanez" guitars are sometimes valuable. I usually turn here http://www.vintageguitar.com/price-guide/ to consult stuff like this but my copy is at work where I need it more often.

4. jordak

jordak

Apr 7, 2011
    Queens, NY
  5. It's a fake Japanese Ric. The bolt-on neck is a dead giveaway. Not to mention that it says made in Japan. Rics are all American made.

6. droo46

droo46

Jun 16, 2011
    I wasn't questioning it's status as a real Ric. He says it isn't in the description. I was curious what people could actually tell me about it.

7. I don't know anything about Rics, but it's nice to see the guy is being honest and selling it as a copy and not trying to fake it.

8. I know those are well liked.

Here is the thing ,I got a used Mapleglo that had some wear on it but wasnt to shabby and it came with a case identical to that and it came with a amp I sold for 120$-I paid 900$ for the package and this was 8 months back. I couldnt pay $850 for a ric copy when its not to hard to find real rics for around 1200$.

9. Is that really the same bass? That's rather a good price but I would like a proper case for a Ric-like bass.

How much does it generally cost to have a bass done in a different colour. Right now I can't decide whether I'd want the Fireglo or that natural-looking one.

10. jordak

jordak

Apr 7, 2011
    Queens, NY
  11. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    The Ibanez Ric copies from the 70s are pretty good basses and should sound pretty close to a real Ric. The price seems to be a little on the high side for what it is, but thats IMO (or rather, I would pay that much for it)

12. Sorry. No. There is no way in hell I pay $850 for a copy of ANYTHING...:rollno:

13. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

If you looked hard enough you could probably find a used ric in that price range, it might have a scuff or two but who cares. A new ric can be had for less than $1600.

Go play it, if you like it, the most I would offer the guy is $200, not $850

14. droo46

droo46

Jun 16, 2011
    Well, I went and had a look at the thing. From what I could tell, it sounded like Ric. I've never played one before so I don't really have a good point of reference. My sentiment after handling it was like many of you have said: it's not worth $850. Looks like I'll be passing on this one.