1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ric "crackle" sound??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bass-only, Dec 10, 2006.

1. Bass-only

Bass-only Supporting Member

Oct 9, 2001
    Cleveland
    Just picked up a beautiful Ric from a fellow TB'er!

I've used mostly "active" basses in the last several years, so I'm not sure it this is "normal." - can the single coil pickups in the Ric cause some "crackle, static-like" sounds while playing?

I've noticed that I hear this crackle coming through the amp when I play the bass and if I run my fingers up and down the fret board (on the strings) I hear the static crackle also.

Now - I did re-install the pickup cover when I got it, but I followed the schematic from Rickenbacker and nothing has come lose.

Is this something I just need to get used to - or does it sound like something that can be "fixed?""

Thanks all and Happy Holidays!

Bob

2. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I would expect a certain "crackle" coming from a Ric, passive single coils and quite hot at that. However, if it is affected by the strings then I'm inclined to think it's more than just pickup noise. It may be a shielding problem, so you may want to open the back up and check if everything is "ship shape" so to speak.

3. Bass-only

Oct 9, 2001
    Cleveland
    Thanks, Chris!

Would contact cleaner in the 3-way switch potentially help??

While I don't hear any unreasonable crackling when you move the pickup selector, could it still be the source of the "crackling" problem?? :confused:

4. Bass-only

Oct 9, 2001
    Cleveland
    If this helps - if I turn the volume all the way down and run my fingers down the strings, I still get the static sound!

I can also hear a little static noise when playing with the volumes down.

Does this help in the diagnosis?? :confused:

5. Bass-only

Oct 9, 2001
    Cleveland
    Any more ideas, TB'ers???? :confused:

If the static is coming through with the volumes down, could that mean, either...

a. the bridge isn't grounded or grounded completely?? (the pick guard makes NO static noise when I rub my fingers on it).

b. it's a simple matter of a dry house with carpeting??

HELP!!!! :crying:

Thanks!

6. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx

a. seems the most likely to me.