Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ric delemma....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 4string4ever, Jul 27, 2004.

1. 4string4ever

4string4ever Guest

Apr 18, 2004
    Orlando, Florida
    I recently bought a Ric, which I've been waiting to do for years. I love her to death,(her name is Gretchen ;) ) but I have a problem. I've been used to playing a Jazz, on which I have been able to use the end of the neck pup for a thumbrest. Can't do that with Gretchen, though. I removed the pup cover, but the end of the chrome shroud surrounding the pickup is too far away from the strings. Anyone know of any type of thumbrest fix I can use that's not a Fender?

2. 4string4ever

4string4ever Guest

Apr 18, 2004
    Orlando, Florida
    Guess not.....

3. PasdaBeer

PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    yea, the thumb rest from fender P's

or get a peice of stainless steel, file it to the size you want, get it chromed, and screw it on to match the chrome hardware.

4. Walbassman

Walbassman

Nov 27, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    Be creative. usually when the pickup cover is removed, the pickup itself becomes a thumbrest. Geddy used the front pickup as a rest for part of the time. if you do not need an anchor spot for your hand, put your hand where it is comfortable and work with it... :bassist:

5. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Try a floating thumb technique.

6. elgranluis

elgranluis

Feb 14, 2003
    El paso, TX
    i am positive i have seen thumbrests on rics. I am almost positive that they were clear in colour..... ok, i looked up the pic and it is actually a finger rest on the british model. so id you do put one, a clear one would be more accurate. Just like a fender, except is is transluscent.

7. Walbassman

Walbassman

Nov 27, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    thumbrests were pretty standard on all models until 1973 ish....all of the 60's Ricks had them. You will pay a lot for one of those basses. the thumbrests were clear plastic. They look cool but are not real practical especially if you are on a budget.

8. 4string4ever

4string4ever Guest

Apr 18, 2004
    Orlando, Florida
    Thanks to everyone for the help. Know how I might lay my hands on one of those old pickguards with the thumbrest?

9. PasdaBeer

PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    it would be disgustingly easy just to make one for under 5 bucks....score a peice of maple or rosewood thats like 3/8 - 5/8 inch thick and just file it down to the size and screw it on there.

10. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I use the E string.. I'm a bad example.