Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ric Fierabracci?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by allan grossman, Jan 13, 2003.

1. I'm listening to Yanni's "Live at the Acropolis". You may not like his music but he's a hell of a composer.

Anyway, his bass player is a guy named Ric Fierabracci - I don't think I've heard him play anywhere else but this guy's almost as fast as Vic is.

Anyone else heard him?

2. He's been mentioned a few times in the forums. I personally think the guy is an excellent bassist. He's got great tone, good speed, and clarity. Oh, and I do like Yanni!

3. You've always been a man of impeccable taste, X - how are things on your end?

4. Allan,

I'm doing good, thanks.

Have you stopped by Ric's site?

http://www.ricfierabracci.com/

He's got a number of mp3's there, worth listening to.

I emailed Ric inviting him to pop in and join us here at the Talkbass forums.

Xavier

(A NOTE TO EVERYONE ELSE)

I can understand that Yanni may not be your cup of tea, but PLEASE, do yourselves a favor and stop by Rics site and check out his mp3's (check out his solo's on "Corny" and "Electric FIelds"). They're NOTHING like Yanni music - he's got Frank Gambale on a few tunes, and I think you'll be glad you checked him out.

X

5. I didn't know he had a site - but thanks muchly for the link :)

I hope he stops by.

6. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    I caught Ric as the touring bassist for Planet X (prog/fusion instrumental group featuring Derek Sherinian, Virgil Donati and Tony MacAlpine) this fall, and Xavier is right on the money. His chops are second to none, and had perhaps the best front-of-house tone I've ever heard.

Hell of a nice guy as well - he spend 10 minutes chatting bass with me after the show, and has traded e-mails with me since. Professionalism is a wonderful thing. :D

7. I forgot to mention, you can hear Ric on Frank Gambale's album, "Coming To Your Senses" available at F.G.'s site....HERE

Good album!

8. He came to chile with frank gambale.... and i didn't have the money for the show!!!! :( :( :(

9. BTBbassist

BTBbassist join us for mankala hour!

Apr 20, 2002
    Westlake Village, CA
    Ric's work with Yanni is incredible, definately not the easiest music to groove with, but he makes it work in beautifully.

I've always enjoyed Yanni- so much so that I actually bought the DVD's of Yanni's concerts at the Acropolis and Royal Albert Hall (also a great concert). :)

Ric is definately one of my favorite players, he deserves a lot more recognition and respect than he gets.

10. I have "Live at the Acropolis". I like Yanni's music. But then I also like John Tesh.

11. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    There is a double C.D. available of Frank Gambale
    playing live at the Baked Potato.....and Ric gets to solo a lot, and just plain tear it up.....great player!
    Highly recomended:bassist:

12. mcdonap

mcdonap

Sep 25, 2001
    Ric's also great on Virgil Donati's "Just Add Water" with Donati and Scott Henderson. It's very improvisational.

13. So was Ric with Planet X in late 2001 at Palatine, IL on that mini-tour-ette thing they did?

14. scubaduba

scubaduba Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    How does Ric get that tone on the Yanni Live at the Acropolis CD? Especially on track 4.

15. BTBbassist

BTBbassist join us for mankala hour!

Apr 20, 2002
    Westlake Village, CA
    I really enjoy that track too...

I think during those gigs (could be wrong), he was playing a fretless Alembic... It sounded like he was playing very close to the bridge to get that really nasally, almost fretted sound. Great playing, however he did it...

16. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    To give you an idea of how good he is:

He played with Chick Corea Elektrik band last year.

That's Chick, Weckl, Gambale and Marienthal - taking the place of JP isn't easy. He did well!

17. scubaduba

scubaduba Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    I know he's great... he's one of my favorites. But I can't figure out how he's able to get that kind of tone; especially on those harmonics and "pops".

18. Marcus Willett

Marcus Willett Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    Endorsing Artist: Bag End - Dean Markley - Thunderfunk
    I remember seeing Ric around 1988/89 in a Miami club with a band called (if memory serves) "Mr. Bootles and the Midnight Horns". He had a great feel and tone back then. He was one of the first guys playing a 5 string that I liked. He ended up selling that 5 at a local shop (Ed's used guitars, again if memory serves) and I missed getting it by hours, literally. I had planned to go buy it the afternoon it arrived in the shop, but a friend (who needs friends like these) beat me to it by perhaps 2 hours...bastard.:mad:

19. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    No, Ric played on the November/December 2002 "Moonbabies" tour. He also "ghosted" (not technically, because he has a small "Additional Bass" credit") on the first/Derek's solo "Planet X" CD on the insane unsion runs in "Atlantis Pt. 1", specifically from 1:23 - 1:58.

20. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Sweden
    http://www.ricfierabracci.com/songs/Atlantis_Planet X.mp3

That song is ****ing insane...