Ric for fingerplaying and slap

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by vene-nemesis, Apr 23, 2004.

1. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    I do really like 4001 & 4003 Rics and im planing to buy one but I normaly do fingerplaying and slap (I also use a pick when im playing some kind of punk or ska line thats too fast to play just with my fingers) but i've never seen anyone playing a ric with the finger or doing slap, so if some ric owners could tell if this bass has a good slap/finger tone/sound i would apriciate it
  2. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    Rick with fingers and a hint of distortion - Geddy Lee heaven! :D

Seriously, the Rick is a great bass for picking and fingerstyle (especially picking - think Chris Squire!), but not really slapping. The neck pickup butts up against the end of the fingerboard, leaving little room for string popping, and the sound of the bass doesn't really suit slapping. As usual, track one down and try it, your experience may vary.

Russ :bassist:
  3. takeout

takeout Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Kansas City area
    Les Claypool has slapped on a Rick before. It might take some technique adjustment, but it is indeed possible.

The only issue I have with Rics for fingerstyle is the narrow string spacing at the bridge.
  4. I agree with XO-Bionic. The slap sound on Ricks is kind of crappy, but the fingerstyle tone is great. My roomate has one, so I get to play it a lot. He put flatwounds on it, and it has great unique sound. sort of warm and plunky. Putting flats on a Rickenbacker really lets you nail the Paul McCartney sound. The other thing i have to say about them is that despite the fact that there are two pickups, each with it's own seperate volume and tone control, plus a pickup selector, the tone is not versatile at all. You're basically going to get one sound out of a Rickenbacker. It never changes drastically when you mess with the controls.
  5. bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    my last 4 string was a modified 4003. Previous owner replaced bridge with badass 2 and pickups with SD Rickenbacker humbucking pickups. Fingerstyle (which is all I play) sounded Monstrous. I've since played fingerstyle on a stock 4003 and it played/sounded just as good but a little thinner due to the stock single coil pickups. Either way they are really great basses for pickwork or fingerstyle. And no bass beats that classic look!