Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ric Gurus-- a little help here?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by justBrian, Mar 18, 2004.

1. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    OK-- I got it home yesterday afternoon and went about exploring it. Jetglo with white binding, no bridge pickup cover, pickguard is cracked on the thumb side right by the neck p'up and is split the rest of the way across, most of the screws are rusty and several have the heads stripped, the 3-way switch only works in 2 ways-- the bridge p'up or the bridge and neck; I can't get the neck to solo; one of the jacks (not the Ric-o-sound one) has a bad ground or something-- if the cord moves it hums like a bastard, and the screws here all have stripped heads; the string mute is dried and cracking and the bridge has some pitting.

I did a little research and came up with about $250 in parts-- and that doesn't include beer and pizza for my techs.

So all you Ric gurus, what would be a fair offer?

2. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    No opinions? I was thinking $300. Reasonable?

3. As long as the neck is fine, and the frets are fine...and basically needs just some hardware replacing/fixing, i believe your asking a resonable price.

4. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    Thanks-- I've gotta call him after lunch.

5. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Bed...are you buying or selling?

6. Jonki

Jonki I will not slap my Bee!

Oct 14, 2003
    Arendal, Norway
    as I understood it, he will buy it

7. XxBassmanxX

XxBassmanxX

Nov 21, 2001
    Rosman NC
    And if you decide not to buy it please let me know, Id love a Rick at that price!

Joe

8. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Sounds like the pickups may be fine, and you may just have to rewire or replace the main jack, since it's shorting there.

9. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    The physical construction of the output jacks on a Ric are unlike anything else I've ever seen. They probably just need to be cleaned up and adjusted. Not much to go wrong, just corrosion and misalignment.