1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ric HUMMMMMMM

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by hdracer, May 5, 2010.

1. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    I have had my '85 4003 for around a month now, and I wanted to ask the Ric experts if this hum is normal. It isn't over powering, sort of like a jazz bass with one pup soloed. It doesn't change with the pup selector in any position,neck, both, bridge. It doesn't stop when both pups are on and set at the same volume & tone like a jazz bass does. There is no shielding, paint or foil, in the pup cavities. Is this normal?

2. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    yep, that's straight-up single coil hum, and it's what rics do.

for the life of me, i don't know why they don't reverse one of the pickups to give at least one hum-canceling setting.

i've modded more than a few by prying that gummy magnet off the bottom of the bridge pickup, flipping it over and reattaching it (after carving a little clearance channel in it for the hookup wire), then reversing the hookup wires on the pickup. this gives jazz bass-style humbucking when both pickups are on, and doesn't seem to change the bridge pickup tone.

3. rcubed

rcubed

May 8, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    I had serious hum issues when living in an apartment next to an electrical room. Almost so bad that I sold it. But thankfully I moved and it's really quiet in comparison in my house. So it's definitely a product of the environment you are in.

4. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I Grow Organic Carrots
    yep single coil pickups.

The 4004 has humbuckers ... but the 4003 has the single coil bite.