1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ric or J?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by godspeed68, Jun 5, 2007.

1. Go for the Ric, its hot!!!

58 vote(s)
    46.0%
  2. They re-issued it for a reason...keep the Jazz and save the $$$!!!

68 vote(s)
    54.0%
  1. godspeed68

godspeed68 i'm here for the sound

Mar 24, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Hey guys, I just picked up a Berg NV610 (!!!!!) to go with my Mesa 400 (non plus). I'm currently usin' a '62 RI Jazz MIA and its not bad...but I've picked up better American Jazzes before. I recently went to Willies in St. Paul, MN and tried out this 1979 Ric 4001.

http://www.williesguitars.com/index.cfm?sector=user&page=detail&prodID=1999

It plays and sounds great! Needs intonation work, but overall it edges out the Fender. It's got a wicked slap tone, closer to a 70's Jazz than my Marcus Miller a few years back could get. Nick at the store said its the low-output pickups...but I know nothing about Rics....It does feel a little on the weak side as far as construction is concerned, however.

Asking price is $2k. I would trade in my Jazz and my Eden Timetraveller combo and still have to shell out $750 for it.

What do you think???

2. this is funny because in the Guitar world magazine ( on the DVD version ).. they interview geddy lee.. ( suprised his name came up on this thread ) haha... anywayas he likes the jazz more than his ric.. i agree... the rick is good but the jazz is more versatile IMO

stay with that jazz.. or maybe even put in new pups new bridge.. mod it up i guess?

3. Hi.

The biggest advantage of almost any Fender product is the fact that anyone with some cash can walk out from a store with one, time after time. That is IMO their major disadvantage as well, every Jill, Jack & Joe can have one. Not so with the Ric.

Allthough 1:4 at the moment, go for the Ric.

Sam

4. Jericho

Jericho Guest

Feb 27, 2007
    Virginny
    RIC

5. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Typical dealer asking $500 more than going rates of ebay or private sale prices.

Anyway,
    I'd recommending taking your Jazz in with you and putting both through the paces.
    I've really been wanting an old Ric, and have toyed alot with them for the past year looking for the right 'one'. One personal thing that I noticed, my band plays drop D tuning, and the Ric's slightly shorter scale loses resonance on that E string being detuned. Not drastic, but kinda bugged me.

4001's have a capacitor on the bridge pickup that really kills that pickup's volume. It's a huge difference when the capacitor is removed, the pickup will be tons louder than the neck pickup. The one thing that has kept me away so far is, even when the cap is removed, the volume of a Ric still isn't as loud as a Jazz, and my Jazzes are the quietest things I own.

6. godspeed68

godspeed68 i'm here for the sound

Mar 24, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    It's being sold on consignment.

7. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    A dealer near me also had a white 78 a few months ago, they're asking price was 1999, and I bought for ~1500...I told him I only pay realistic market prices. :eyebrow:
    Unfortunatley I didn't keep that bass for very long, I loved the white color (very ideal). But still looking for the one.

The Willies one looks like it has either a shroud installed around the rear pickup opening or might be a replacement pickup with a new shroud (like seymour duncan or something).

8. denton57

denton57 Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2005
    Arkansas
    Yeah, that seems awful high price wise. Anyway, I have had 3 rics: an '05, an '81, and a '77. I love Rics and always will. I dont know though, I went back to a Jazz and haven't regretted it at all. I am a flatwound player and the Jazz just sounds and feels better to me. It's like I've tried real hard to be a Ric man exclusively for my bassplayin life, but In reality I like the Jazz tone better for the type of music I play. If I was in a hot new original rock band, I would absolutely buy another Ric for that Ric tone. Im not. Anyway, you can find a better deal than that on this forum's classified or ebay. I know, I sold my '05 on here for $1250.

9. +1!!! just like geddy lee switching from the ric to the jazz more often! as stated in my oringal post!

10. Saetia

Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    I've been jonsing for a ric for years now, I want a jet glo and one in white.

Where's the drooling emote when you need it.

Peace

-Benny

ps Sorry I didn't add anything of content to the thread

11. I say keep the J, becasue the ric in question just doesn't have the YUM! of most rics, It's just missing something.

12. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    Hey... according to your sig line, you've got Sadowsky GAS... I say: GET THE SADOWSKY!

13. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    To paraphrase an old saw: "Sell in haste, repent at leisure."

14. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    Well, I don't have the RI Jazz but still have a Jazz and a Ric...

The Jazz is for sale and the Ric stays! There is something about the Ric that is different enough from everything else that sets it apart in certain musical situations. I do have other basses as well but even if the Ric were my only bass I would be set.

15. steveinohio

steveinohio

May 27, 2007
    Hey Ive got both and Im saying stick with your jazz. It sounds like you would be giving up a lot.

If you do decide go with the Ric though make sure you check the bridge for the dreaded tail lift.

16. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    See, two posts, two different thoughts... Isn't talkbass great!!!

17. Bluesdog

Bluesdog

Apr 24, 2006
    Gold Coast
    If you want to be unique and have your own look and style, . . . . . .Go with the Jazz, or J copy (Sad or whatever)

Then you'll be different, just like everyone else.:bag: :D :bassist:

18. Foamy

Foamy

Jun 26, 2006
    Sac Area
    I'm a cheapskate - whereever I can save a buck, and still get quality, I'll save that buck.

19. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    Whoa there buddy...I'm confused. Are you talking about the Rick here? The Rick has a better slap tone and is closer to a Marcus Miller Jazz than the jazz bass? Or am I reading that wrong? And Nick is telling you that this is due to the low-output pickups on the Rickenbacker? Or am I reading that wrong as well?

Ricks have extremely HIGH output passive pickups. That's part of their sound. So, if I'm reading this right, you should go back and tell Nick at this store to do some research.

That's a tough one though...Ricks never disappoint but they're also a tough breed to get into. In the scheme of things, a Jazz bass might sit better in a mix while the Rickenbacker will be more out front and noticeable. So depends on what you're looking for really.

20. bass.player

bass.player

May 30, 2006
    Belgium
    Personally I would never replace a Jazz with a Ric as my only bass but I would take some more time to save more money and get both.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 2, 2021