ric or lakland?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RockStar571, Feb 3, 2002.

1. i'm hoping to move up in the world of basses (from a jackson concert series c-20) i play metal which should tell you i'm on something of a limited budget i'm looking a a rickenbacker 4001 or the new lakland skyline 55-01 they're both right around the same price so it's just a matter of what i want....what do you reccomend?
  2. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Not to be snide, but there's your answer. Playing both and then deciding may be out of the question, since I haven't seen too many, (as in zero!), Skyline's in local stores. I can't really comment on the Skyline, but a Ric can work well for metal, (Lemmy), and seems to hold resale value rather well. I think the Skyline seems more like a well rounded bass tone-wise. To my ears, a Ric always sounds like a Ric...

3. alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    I think there is another underlying question that needs to be answered. Do you want a 4 or a 5 string bass?

I've yet to try a Skyline but once owned a 4001. I really didn't like it very much, but that's me (obviously this instrument is in the bass hall of fame for a reason).

I would be hesitant to lock into these two basses only. Try out a bunch in your price range, 4's and 5's, and see what you like.

Happy Hunting,
  4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I like what Robert says because that is how I would answer it, too. I have a 55-02 and a Rick 4001. Admittedly, the guts of the 02 are different than the 01 but, phyiscally they appear to be about identical, (if not identical).

The Ricky and the Skyline are just such different animals, it's like asking someone which is better - red or white wine????

IMO, the 01 Skyline with its conventional, stock, Bartolini electronics has a "popular", "money" sound. It's a sound most people find familiar. The 4001, as usually set up, has a more esoteric, more "exotic" sound.

Either sound could be a positive or negative. With the Rick you definitely won't sound like the ocean of bassists with Jazz or Precis tone. You have to be the judge if it has the tone you want.

FWIW, my review of the 02 appears in Talkbass "Reviews". It may help as long as you remember the electronics are a bit different.
  5. thanks for all the input guys it's not really that i'm only considering these two it's just that these two are my two favs of what i've considered
  6. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    they are completely different basses. both in feeling and in sound. i'm sure that when you'll try both it will be really easy to decide!