1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

RIC OWNERS: Is the string spacing a lot more tighter on a 5 string compared to MM5???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Thumpin4, Apr 26, 2006.

1. Thumpin4

Thumpin4

Nov 6, 2002
    RIC OWNERS: Is the string spacing a lot more tighter on a 5 string compared to MM5???
    My next bass is either going to be a Mike Lull P5 or a Ric 5'er. I love the sound of both of these basses.

I bought a SX 4 string P-bass not to long ago and replaced the pup with a SD SPB-3 pup. After replacing the pup, the bass had more thump than my MIA P-bass that sold about a year ago IMHO.

Can you get a lot of low end out of a Ric? I know comparing a Ric to a P-bass is :meh:

I would love to have a Ric 5'er. I'm just worried about getting one and it feels like that I'm playing a geetar.

Jody

2. someone once told me that he knew off octaved 12 string basses that had wider spacing than 5 strings rics hahahahah..

I have though never tried one..

3. RSchuster

RSchuster

Jan 27, 2006
    Alexandria, VA
    You can definitely get a lot of low end out of a Ric. Mostly it depends on what strings you're using, though. I use DR Hi-Beams, and they have bottom, but not nearly as much as the nickel Lo-Riders I used. For the ultimate in Ric low-end-ness, get some D'addario Chromes or some other semi-bright sounding flatwound. But yeah, mostly it's the strings that make the biggest difference on a Ric.

As for string spacing, I dunno. I don't own a 5-string Ric.

4. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    First of all, good luck finding a Rick 5-string! Both 5-sting models they made/make are rare birds.

The older, discontinued 4003S/5 has very tight string spacing. I didn't like it.

The new 4004Cii/5 has wider string spacing (not sure of the exact measurement), but these basses are currently not in production. They made a few, but they've stopped production pending some design refinements.

5. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    You'll hear a lot of people say that the 4003s/5 is way tight, and uncomfortable. The fact according to Rickenbacker's numbers is that it is tight at the bridge, but it is actually wider than a Fender Jazz 5 at the nut.

6. Wow. I had no idea Ric ever even did 5'ers.