Ric pickup questions

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Jeff K, Jul 9, 2005.

1. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    Hello everybody. I'm new to this, so bear with me. I'm planning to pick up a new Ric (it's on back-order), and thought you guys might be able to help me out with some questions. Does anybody know what the differences are in the standard 4003 pickups and the "scatterwounds". I can get my bass from either of two sources. One is standard with standard case. The other is upgraded with the scatterwounds and the vintage silver case. The difference amounts to a fair amount of money, and I'm wondering if the upgraded version is worth it. Also, I've seen where some of you have mentioned that the E string doesn't pack the same punch as the A-D & G. Is it easy to adjust so that the E also has that punch? And one more thing. I really like flatwounds on my basses. Do any of you feel that flats sound okay on the 4003? I've been playing Fenders for years, and do really like them. But there's something about a Ric that just demands my attention every time I see one.
  2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Welcome to TB! This question is better served in its own thread in Pickups, so I'm splitting it off and moving it.
  3. keb

Mar 30, 2004
    The scatterwound pickup refers to the vintage-style "toaster" pickup. It's a recreation/reissue of the pickup Rickenbacker used before the current pickups they use (referred to as "Hi-Gain" pickups) became standard. In the case of a modern 4003 with the 'vintage pickup' option, only the neck pickup is replaced (the bridge pickup is a different beastie, though I've seen some Rick players install a toaster in the bridge position afterwards. The traditional vintage pickup for the bridge position is the "horseshoe" pickup, but Rickenbacker doesn't offer those for sale currently (unless you get a a 'C'-series reissue bass) When you order a Rick guitar with the vintage pickup option, all pickups are toasters. The toaster pickups aren't wound as hot as the HiGains, and have a smoother, more "vintage" sound to them.

Regarding the E string question... I've owned my Rick for about 13 years and I've never noticed any deficiency with its E string. Though I have heard that story before, maybe some people just got unlucky or something.

And regarding flatwounds, they should work just fine. I know of several Rick players who swear by flatwounds, even on modern 4003 basses.