Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ric Sound?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by funkopotimus, May 28, 2001.

1. what is the ric sound? please give me an example of what the sound is , recordings whatever, thanks!!

2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Early Yes & early Rush.

3. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    There was a thread about this in, I think, Miscellaneous a while ago. There's a station on Mp3.com called "That Rickenbacker Sound", which is full of songs that feature, just to insult your intelligence that little bit further, That Rickenbacker Sound. There aren't that many with Ric basses, but you might be able to find a few:

http://stations.mp3s.com/stations/144/that_rickenbacker_sound.html

4. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    There is a band out of Australia called Powderfinger and their bass player records with a 4003.

5. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    manic street preachers

the rick is in my opinion great for pop rock in these days or ultradistorted in the style of lemmy kilmister and motorhead.

6. i'm interested in trying one, cause i mean they look nice and all, but everyone says theres like one sound, my friend tried one in quebec used, he didnt really like it but i dont trust his judgement.

so yeah thanks i'm gonna try to listen to osme stuff now, and which albums are early rush/yes?

peace

7. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Rics have a very distinctive sound but it's not a one trick poney. I use mine all the time and alway's get compliments on it's tone. It sounds best with a pick but I play fingerstyle all the time on it.
    Early Atlanta Rythm section is a great example.
    2112 by Rush has a great ric tone.
    Early Wings, Paul has a great 4001 tone.

8. late beatles, sgt peppers and afterwards.

9. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    Early Yes -

The Yes Album
    Fragile
    Close to the Edge

These all have great examples of Ric tone, not to mention they're outstanding albums!

10. Except for the first album, I think all the Rush albums were recorded with a Ric, up until Moving Pictures, which was a Fender Jazz.

11. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Spock's Beard's bass player Dave Meros plays a Ric. His tone is almost too Ric-ish, like a caricature. Jump over to cdnow.com and listen to the clips from track 1, track 5 and track 7 from their album "Beware of Darkness" to hear it.

12. thanks a lot all, i want to try ione sometime, along with a whole list of things i wanna try! haha, i swear theres nothing here except fenders and a couple G&L's everynow and then. and a lot of washburn. and then the generic brands everywhere

13. kezekiel

kezekiel

Sep 24, 2000
    If my Rush trivia knowledge serves me right, Geddy bought his Ric with his royalty advance and used it to record on their first album.

As for Moving Pictures, I remember seeing them live, and Geddy used his Jazz only for YYZ. The rest of the album featured the Rick, I think.

Later albums saw him using a Steinberger, Wal, and then back to his Jazz.

To be on point, though, I think the best Rush "Ric tone" albums were Closer to the Heart, Hemispheres, and Permanent Waves.

14. "I wanna be adored" by the Stone Roses is another classic...4005 (is that the model #? anyways it's the bass version of the 360) on that one.

Also listen to Coldplay's Parachutes album - there's 4003 in there as well.

Any Motorhead will show you what they can achieve in a nastier setting.

The Ric Sound : hollow-ish sounding, strong on the midrange (a barky growl, quite prominent), bell/piano-like treble and sustain (esp. with fresh-arse strings). Not "weak" on the bass front, but ultra-low end isn't what Rics are about - but that doesn't mean you can't wreak low-end havoc from one!

15. NukeBass

NukeBass

Jul 8, 2000
    Cornelius, NC
    I know if you go to

www.paulmccartney.com

and surf around to the Los Angeles part you can find a Silly Love Songs live video that has a good Ric sound on it. I believe there is some difference between the mono and stereo sound but I'm not positive on that. I know McCartney's is the export mono version (not sure of the official model number) that was later released as a 4001S.

16. Here's another tune with a slightly different Ric tone: In the Meantime - by Spacehog. Cool, cool stuff. It's really easy to pick out, too.

I think Geddy's tone on Hemispheres and Farewell to Kings are the best examples from him. BTW, he didn't get his Ric till Fly by Night, but it WAS on an advance.

I LOVE Chris Squire, he and Geddy got me to play in the first place, and my Rick is my #1. BUT, understand when you listen to Chris that he's a BRIGHT tone meister; Ricks don't sound like that 'out of the box' as it were. Also, McCartney's sound is on the opposite end of Squire on the same instrument, as Paul uses flatwounds and doesn't go for so much cut.

This is a great spectrum for you to listen to so you can hear how much range in tone a Rick can cover!

17. All so what makes the Ric a most-wanted insturment s that there are TWO output jacks instead of one. the D and G string go out one side and the E and A go out the other sides. imagine an output jack for each one of the jacks! :eek: If there was one JT i want to see them on your double neck 14 string :eek:!

18. That's not how the dual outputs work...you only use one jack, the RicOSound jack along with the ROS "kit" its almost along the same lines as biamping or stereo of sorts. This is a link directly to the Ric site where they explain it.
    http://www.rickenbacker.com/us/ros.htm

19. Ric-o-Sound splits the output by pickup.

The neck pickup comes out on the "left" channel, the bridge pickup out on the "right"...

The output jack is a normal 6.5mm stereo jack, the Ric-o-Sound is simply a splitter box that splits that stereo out to two 6.5mm monos.

20. LOL...right, what he said :) The link explains it in more detail but that's it in a nutshell.