ric trouble

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by bass-skin, Nov 3, 2003.

1. bass-skin

Jul 17, 2003
    buffalo NY
    my ric is not playing nearly as well as it used to. The action seems a lot higher and i have already had it set up recently. Is the guy i'm taking it to just not doing a very good job or is there something else that would cause this raise in action? Thanks
  2. Ricks are a little trickier to get set up right than most basses (and changes in the truss rod system make that more so...) Adjusting an old 4001 like a new 4003 can be disasterous. Make sure you are using an authorized RIC dealer, that makes it more likely they will know how to handle your instrument (no comments from the peanut gallery there, please...). Maybe it is time for a checkup... If you changed the strings to a new type, you may just need to get it adjusted again (different strings can mean very different tensions). What, if anything, has happened/changed since the last setup?
  3. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    what he said! Ricks can be a pain, especially the older ones.
  4. DW

Jun 22, 2000
    Well, since your profile says 4003, the truss rod adjustment is conventional on those so that shouldn't be a problem. They are easy to set up for almost zero relief if that's what you want. If your tech knows how to regulate action at the nut and adjust the bridge height, it should be easy. Sounds like you need to take it to someone else, preferably with Rick experience.
  5. I third that!

6. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL