Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ric with a Pick!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Brat, Sep 25, 2004.

1. Brat

Brat

Jun 4, 2004
    NW Indiana.
    Hey. Does anyone have a sound clip of any sort of Rickenbacker being played with a pick? I heard em played fingerstyle (beautiful!) but never with a pick and I was just wondering.

Thanks! ;)

2. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Yes, yes I do have a clip. Not me obviously but,

This is bass!

:bassist:

3. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    For the nastiest picked Ric, soloed and everything, and playing some of the more famous Ric basslines, go to chrissquire.com, click on "gallery," and listen to the three files that go with the transcriptions.

4. Anti_Wish

Anti_Wish

May 14, 2004
    Boston, Ma
    chris squire is wicked sick. i do frown on pick playing but eh.... he is the exception. except maybe if a bassist could sweep with a pick. then that too would be acceptable IMO

5. OiBass

OiBass

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus,OH
    Try early "The Jam"-
    Early "Yes"-
    ALL MOTORHEAD!-
    These are the best examples-
    But there's plenty more...
    Gents?...

6. Anti_Wish

Anti_Wish

May 14, 2004
    Boston, Ma
    forgot to mention that i saw the Casualties play in NYC and thier bassist had a ric and played with a pick.

7. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
  8. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I listened to the soundclip (the one in the first post)... He is just playing with uber distorty stuff.

9. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    how does one get that super aggressive paul d'aumor of tool sound with a ric?

the few times i've played a ric, i couldn't get anything NEAR that. maybe it was the SWR redhead...?

:confused:

10. Prahainspring

Prahainspring

Oct 22, 2002
    New Jersey
    I know that he uses a Chris Squire signature Rickenbacker and a Mesa Boogie set-up, so I would assume that would contribute to his tone.

11. Scottie Johnson

Scottie Johnson

Sep 8, 2004
    With your preamp and Rick, can you get the motorhead sound? How about Geddy Lee? I just started getting into Rush because of how high regarded they are around this board. I think I have a new influence.

12. Motorhead and Arch Enemy :) 2 great bands with great bassplayers, just listen

13. DubDubs

DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Listen to Yes. Chris Squire uses a Rick and a pick most of the time.

There are some tracks of just basslines on his site <a href="http://chrissqure.com">chrissqure.com</a>. They're under the gallery section.

14. Bigwig

Bigwig

Dec 27, 2003
    Grimcity
    geddy used to play a ric befor switching to fender.

15. Anti_Wish

Anti_Wish

May 14, 2004
    Boston, Ma
    before switching to a wal, before switching to a fender if im not mistaken. i am no rush expert though.

16. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I think Lemmy always runs straight into Marshalls. He plays a lot of chords with a pick.

17. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Roger Waters played a Ric in the early days of Pink Floyd. Listen to "Saucer Full of Secrets", and "Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun", in particular. :bassist:

18. Tames

Tames

Dec 31, 2002
    Decatur, IL, USA
    Franz Ferdinand. Beatiful Ric tone IMO.

19. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Dave Meros of Spock's Beard had a killer Ric tone, although in the interests of full disclosure he does have a set of J pups installed on his main bass for "his" version of an "all-in-one" bass.

20. You are 100% correct.

I really got to work on getting some stuff recorded..i play with a pick most of the time. I am lord of procrastination.