Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ricc fierabracci

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by steviecsg, Aug 20, 2003.

1. steviecsg

steviecsg

Aug 16, 2002
    I was sold on to bass after watching ricc's solo on 'the rain must fall' from Live at the Acropolis cd.

Many years later, I reviewed the footage and realised that the video I watched when i was a 14 year old kid encompassed all if not most of bass playing techniques. slapping, tapping, natural and artifical harmonics etc..

However I have been unable to come close to emulating his tone.

Does anybody know how he got that tone during the solo? Any clue on the basses and amps he used and/or effects?

Steve

2. Check out his website: http://www.ricfierabracci.com

Then click what's new and scroll to the bottom to see his live setup. No indication whether or not it's the same as his Acropolis setup.

3. Lonnybass

Lonnybass Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2000
    Minneapolis by way of Chicago
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla Basses
    Well, let's see, how old was I when I saw the PBS special in 1992/1993? Hmmm...15? :)

If you want the "Rick F. tone" on The Rain Must Fall, here's what you do. For starters, he's playing a bass with both a J pickup and a P pickup, but the neck pickup is soloed (Jaco style). So, a jazz bass (or jazz style) with only the bridge pickup on will get you the sound.
    On your amp, dial out the midrange and boost your treble and bass - you'll have the punchy growl with lots of bite, and the harmonics will ring out clear.

The solo is in "G." Let me know if you have trouble working through it.

Lonnybass

4. steviecsg

steviecsg

Aug 16, 2002
    thanks lonny,

I roughly catch the gist what ricc does in the solo except the part where the artificial harmonics sound. how does he make them 'jump' out at you? is there a tremendous amount of compression used?

Also is there anything special about his slapping technique? I'm guessing that he's using his index and middle finger at the same time to pop to get that 'flam' sound.

You're right about using the bridge pickup jaco style during the slap solo and removing the mids. sounds a lot closer than both pickups on my jazz on.

Steve

5. Lonnybass

Lonnybass Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2000
    Minneapolis by way of Chicago
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla Basses
    "I roughly catch the gist what ricc does in the solo except the part where the artificial harmonics sound. how does he make them 'jump' out at you? is there a tremendous amount of compression used?

Also is there anything special about his slapping technique? I'm guessing that he's using his index and middle finger at the same time to pop to get that 'flam' sound.

You're right about using the bridge pickup jaco style during the slap solo and removing the mids. sounds a lot closer than both pickups on my jazz on."

Steve,

Regarding the harmonics, I don't believe this issue is related to compression nearly as much as it is an issue of exceptionally clean technique, an excellent setup job and cranked treble. If you have access to an Alembic F-1X preamp, hit the "bright" switch and you'll have Instant Ric. :)

The slapping technique relies heavily upon left hand muting and thumping (two-handed slap, if you will) which gives a lot of the percussiveness you hear. Off the top of my head, I think there is two-fingered popping (right hand index and middle) during the octave jumping through the "E" chord part of the solo.

Lonnybass

6. Hi friends. I have the Acropolis video, so I went ahead and digitized Ric's solo from "The Rain Must Fall" so y'all can pick it apart frame by frame. You will need the latest version of QuickTime. Follow this link to see it:

http://www.erichstevens.com/video/fierabracci.html

Enjoy!