1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

ricenbacker 4001 & 4003 ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by william curl, Jul 27, 2012.

1. william curl

william curl

Feb 13, 2012
    Mt Vernon Ga
    I thinking about putting a new pick guard on my 4003. was wondering what the visual difference between the 4001 & 4003 are.the pick guards I've looked at are two piece for the 4003 and single piece for the 4001. my 4003 is a single piece.

2. the "pre 1974" guards have the hole for the neckpickup 1/2" closer to the neck
    some 4001 guars from the later seventies have a "dodgy" location of the volumeknob for the bridgepickup.

The 2-piece guard was something installed in the early eighties on 4003's, when the trussrods were installed upside down (so the adjustment nuts were at the heel instead of the headstock). The 2-piece guard allowed for a trussrod adjustment without having to remove the entire pickguard.

3. msb

msb

Jul 3, 2002
    Halifax,N,S. Canada
    and later 4003 guards have that ugly hump

Over the years there have been a lot of subtle changes . You may need to provide a tracing of your guard if you get a new one cut .