Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Richard Bona/Steve Rodby w/Metheny

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by r_simonini, Nov 14, 2002.

1. I am seeing the pat metheny group on sunday here in Santa Barbara. Has anyone seen the speaking of now tour with Richard Bona? Does he play any bass or just percussion? I think Rodby is a great player too. I am exited to see him as well.

Ross

2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Richard Bona is primarily known for his bass playing.

3. Yes I know that much but he plays percussion and sings in Pat Metheny's group. Rodby plays bass. However, I have heard that Bona plays bass on a few tunes.

Ross

4. Adam Wright

Adam Wright Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2002
    Arlington,Tx
    I saw them at SMU earlier in the year ,and yes ,Richard does play bass on a couple of tunes. Metheny,Bona, and the current drummer who's name slips my mind (it's not Paul Wertico) do a trio tune where Bona takes a long solo. I was surprised to see him there as I had no idea until the show that Bona was playing w/ Metheny.

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Yeah , I saw the tour earlier in the year in my Home Town - for the vast majority of the show Bona sang, played acoustic guitar and percussion.

There was the short "Bright Size Life" trio feature - where he played fretless and then right at the end, he played a solo on a "finale" piece where everybody got a solo, using his 5-string fretted bass.

Steve Rodby played bass throughout - apart from the trio - on electric bass and Double Bass.

I would have liked to hear more from Bona on bass and was a bit disappointed - but it was still a great gig!!!

6. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    I saw that tour earlier this year too.
    It was the best Metheny show I've ever seen, and I've seen him several times (Bona was a big plus).
    The drummer was Antonio Sanchez and I thought he was great.

7. The show was incredible. Richard Bona is an amazing musician. He soloed twiced with a Pensa suhr fretless and a fodera matt garrison model through an epifani 112. Sounded unbelivable. Great Musicianship.
    Ross