1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Richard Bona/Steve Rodby w/Metheny

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by r_simonini, Nov 14, 2002.

1. I am seeing the pat metheny group on sunday here in Santa Barbara. Has anyone seen the speaking of now tour with Richard Bona? Does he play any bass or just percussion? I think Rodby is a great player too. I am exited to see him as well.

Ross

2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Richard Bona is primarily known for his bass playing.

3. Yes I know that much but he plays percussion and sings in Pat Metheny's group. Rodby plays bass. However, I have heard that Bona plays bass on a few tunes.

Ross

4. Adam Wright

Adam Wright Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2002
    Arlington,Tx
    I saw them at SMU earlier in the year ,and yes ,Richard does play bass on a couple of tunes. Metheny,Bona, and the current drummer who's name slips my mind (it's not Paul Wertico) do a trio tune where Bona takes a long solo. I was surprised to see him there as I had no idea until the show that Bona was playing w/ Metheny.

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Yeah , I saw the tour earlier in the year in my Home Town - for the vast majority of the show Bona sang, played acoustic guitar and percussion.

There was the short "Bright Size Life" trio feature - where he played fretless and then right at the end, he played a solo on a "finale" piece where everybody got a solo, using his 5-string fretted bass.

Steve Rodby played bass throughout - apart from the trio - on electric bass and Double Bass.

I would have liked to hear more from Bona on bass and was a bit disappointed - but it was still a great gig!!!

6. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    I saw that tour earlier this year too.
    It was the best Metheny show I've ever seen, and I've seen him several times (Bona was a big plus).
    The drummer was Antonio Sanchez and I thought he was great.

7. The show was incredible. Richard Bona is an amazing musician. He soloed twiced with a Pensa suhr fretless and a fodera matt garrison model through an epifani 112. Sounded unbelivable. Great Musicianship.
    Ross