Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Richard Bona's effects

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Christian Houmann, Aug 21, 2005.

1. I have an DVD with Bona and he is using some different pedals and the big midi roland V bass.

When he is soloing on his frettet bass it sometimes sounds like a fretless and very dark sounding. Maybe it is the V bass but I have seen him live before he got the V bass and he had that sound!
    Could it be a small amout of delay or reverb that makes that bass sound?
    It would be great if anyone had some info on this because I just don't not anything about effects :meh:

Thanks

-Christian

2. christoph h.

christoph h.

Mar 26, 2001
    Germany
    i think he has a forum on www.bonatology.com where that question was answered...

OK, because i like bona, i just went there... so here's something i've found...

another one:

hope that helps. :)

3. gruuv

gruuv

Jan 23, 2004
    Tennessee
    Hi Christian,

I don't mean to hi-jack the thread, but what DVD do you have Richard playing on? I LOVE his playing; he's a tremendously nice guy as well. I'd love to pick up any DVD's featuring him that I can.

Now to hopefully answer your question in part, I have seen him play (before the V Bass system) with just a head and cabinet, no effects and he still had some of that dark, almost-fretless tone going on with his Imperial (which is ash body/maple neck & board). I think part of it is the passive tone knob... rolling that back will "darken" the tone significantly. Part of it (I think) is that he's using Bartolini soapbars. In my experience they tend to be darker pickups than Duncans or Aeros. And a large part of it is probably due to his fingers/attack. I've heard Vic Wooten sit in many times in Nashville on different people's basses. The basses were of varying makers, wood and pick-up combinations. With relatively little variation, he always sounded like himself. Something about his fingers and attack really helps create that signature sound of his. You can't rule that out. . .

4. gruuv

gruuv

Jan 23, 2004
    Tennessee