Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Richard Cheese and Lounge Against the Machine

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by SuperDuck, May 7, 2004.

1. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    One of the few highlights of the new Dawn of the Dead remake was a Disturbed song as covered by this group. I've never heard anything about them before this point.

Anyone have any albums by Richard Cheese and Lounge Against the Machine? I realize they're probably gimmick albums, but are they worth buying?

2. Hey! A friend of mine, Chris Monaco, used to be the bassist in Richard Cheese's band! He went under the name "Gordon Brie."
    He played on the "Tuxicity" album and also arranged most of the tunes.

3. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Worth checking out. Yeah, insert all the usual caveats about novelty acts here, but everything I've ever heard has left me ROTFLMAO. :D

4. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Grunge/Nu-Metal lyrics sung over rather generic "standards" style changes.

Good for a "yuk", but I thought Dred Zeppelin was a much more original concept.
    A fat Elvis impersonator ("Tortelvis") singing (Elvis style of course) Led Zeppelin songs done Reggae style. :D

Ya' gotta' love that.

5. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    RC and LAtM were the house band for some random show on MTV a few years back. I can't remember the name, but I'm positive it was them. Has anyone else seen it?

Edit: The show was Say What? Karaoke

iloverichardcheese.com

:bassist:

6. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    They we're also the "House Band" for that horrible "The First Network For Men" special that TNN/Spike TV ran when they still couldn't legally call themselves "Spike TV" (all the Spike TV logos were blurred out since it was filmed before Spike Lee filed his injunction).

7. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    Sorry for getting OT, but I was just thinking about my post. I used "house band" because I couldn't think of what else to call them. Is there a more correct term?

:bassist:

8. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Nah!
    Even Emeril's got his own "House Band" now.:oops:

9. LATM was also the house band for Last Call with Carson Daly (SP?) last year during the time the show as in Las Vegas. I think they're pretty cool. A similar band that would be worth checking out is The Bad Plus.

10. sjoakes

sjoakes

Nov 25, 2002
    saint paul, mn
    I think comparing Mr. Cheese to The Bad Plus is quite a stretch!

The Bad Plus are a rippin' jazz trio, not a tongue in cheek lounge act...however, The Bad Plus have covered some pop songs, but that's where the similarities end...IMO

11. I have "Lounge against the machine". Nice concept, fairly well done. Some of the arrangements though are fairly heavy into the "Bossa Nova"-rhythm-on-keyboard- hell. Not very subtle. It is fairly funny to hear things like "What's my age again" by Blink182 and "Closer" by NIN done in a very unangry, straight up with a twist kind of way.

One to listen to once or twice, then bring out for parties... ;)