Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Richard Johnston's "Lowe Bow"

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Stinsok, Apr 13, 2005.

1. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Has anyone seen this "one man band?" If not, he plays primarily "Hill Country Blues" ( most songs have only one or two chords.) He plays guitar (run through a guitar and bass amp) drums (you have to see it,) and sings. He also plays a very crude instrument called a Lowe Bow, or Diddley Bow. It is a very simple cigar box instrument with 2 "necks" very close together so that he can play the low end and high end at the same time. These have a very simple Radio Shack piezo buzzer as a pickup. He strums with his fingers, uses a thumb pick on the lower strings, and uses a slide . This instrument gives an eerie, but very, very cool sound. I only wish I could give an accurate description of how it sounds. There is a "how to" section on cigarbox.com where it shows you what you need. For a few bucks you can make something pretty cool. I was thinking about making a 2 string version using bass strings. Has anyone here done this?