1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Richie Daley and Third World

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Philbiker, Jun 25, 2007.

1. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I had the good fortune to catch Third World in Washington, DC on Saturday night as part of the local BBQ Festival. I was a casual fan of Third World through the 80s, having fallen in love with their brilliant 1979 LP "The Story's Been Told", but it wasn't till the 90s that I really started buying a lot of their CDs. They're one of my favorites now.

They were amazing live. One of the best concerts I've ever seen. Wow.

Richie played a strange headless bass that looked like a piece of a kitchen countertop. Cat played a guitar by the same builder. I was amazed at Daley's thumb technique! He played about half the show standard fingerstyle and half using his thumb. What a great sounding way of playing! I'd only ever seen Sting play like this, and never fast runs like Richie did.

If you like reggae music do not miss these guys when they come to town! I've never seen them live before, I hope I never miss them again!

2. jerry

jerry Too old for a hiptrip Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I've seen them a bunch, especially in the 80's. 96 In The Shade, Rock The World, You've Got The Power, Sense Of Purpose are all classic albums out here. Their harmonies are incredible, awesome reggae-soul!

3. Sounbwoy

Sounbwoy Supporting Member

Aug 29, 2005
    Clayton, NC
    They might have been playing Kleins I think they're called. That's interesting b/c Richie is usually seen with either a Sadowsky or a Smith. He's a solid player, but Cat can take him down any day of the week.

4. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Klein Guitars. Yes, that's right, the signature is the same. Wierd looking things.
    C'mon, Cat's a friggin' virtuoso! He's even classically trained. Unbelievably talented guitar player, and a very good singer as well!!!

5. Sounbwoy

Sounbwoy Supporting Member

Aug 29, 2005
    Clayton, NC

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 22, 2021