Richie Kotzen

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Stupidnick, Oct 21, 2002.

1. Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002 room...
    Anybody ever heard of him?
    Stu hamm played on his first album i think..
    Pretty amazing.. The bass really isn't a focus on the album but a couple of riffs really caught my attention under the crazy arse drumming going around and the ten thousand mile per hour guitar shred.... (im a fan of shred) =D.
    Very good stuff? anybody listen to this guy though? what do you think of him?
    hes playing a friggin telecaster.. :eek:
  2. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I think he plays with Warrant or Poison or some hair pop-rock thing from the 80's. At least VH-1's behind the music mentioned him in that capacity.
  3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    He replaced Paul Gilbert in Mr. Big during their end...

But his newer solo stuff is really cool (latest album is called Slow ;) ). More (funky) riff rock than shred.

BTW: Kotzen means to puke in German :D
  4. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Now correct me if I am wrong, but isn't Kotzen the one who played with the Poison band in the mid-nineties, replacing their original lead guitarist C.C.DeVille, but had the misfortune to fall in love with and eventually marry the lead singer Bret Micheals girlfriend? That little faux pas cost him the Poison gig.

I used to have a guitar greats CD and Kotzen was one of the guitarists on it. I remember he did know his way around the guitar. He was also often mentioned in metal magaizines back in the early and mid-nineties.

I hope he has gotten his career back on track. Maybe he can find an exciting gig where he can survive and saty in the limelight.
  5. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    yup, he played in poison too
  6. I believe Kotzen came out of the Mike varney school of neo-classical shred (the company was called Shrapnel).
    He ended up replacing CC in poison, then he replaced Paul Gilbert when Paul left Mr Big and rejoined Racer X.
    Ritchies is certainly a very accomplished guitarist, and i have the album from him which Stu hamm played on.

Pretty good stuff if you like shred (which i still enjoy-Tony macalpine, darrin householder, Marty Friedman and Jason Becker, David T. Chastain, Joey Tafolla...etc.. a trip down memory lane

I still try to get my band to play Speed Metal Symphony from Cacophony. No luck thou

7. CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    When Poison came to Venezuela in 1993(?), Kotzen was the guitar player, I remember it was a good show, lots of hair bouncing around, lots of girls and lots of guitar solos....... kinda miss that time.... ok just the guitar solos, I prefer how the girls dress these days:D ;)
  8. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Richie Kotzen was also involved in Vertu, a musical group that included Stanley Clarke and Rachel Z, plus a violinist. I think I still have that cd somewhere.

He was also involved in The Barefoot Searvants, which had Lee Sklar on bass.

I'm sure he's a good player, but I never went for the Malmsteen school of guitaring...
  9. Boplicity

Anybody know whatever happened to Blues Saraceno?
  10. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Yes - unfortunately!! :mad: I really like that album apart from Kotzen's contributions which make it basically unlistenable! Nice violin, keyboards and Stanley Clarke's bass playing is great - I just don't know why they had to have this horrible guitar sound, spoiling virtually every track!
  11. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    He also made a couple of albums with Greg Howe (also a funky riffer with awesome shred capabilities). I've heard a few tunes and they're pretty cool, although it's probably "too much" for most non-guitarists (especially Bruce! :D).
  12. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I think I'd rather listen to a chain-saw - more musical!! ;)
  13. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I think Richie Kotzen is a burner & a good singer.... a lot better singer than the one in Poison! Yeah I know he did the note per second when he was young.....but he was young. He has since become alot more tastful in his playing........but if you do miss his shredability check out ' Inner Galactic Fusion Experience'.......he smokes on that one.
  14. Boplicity

Just for the heck of it, I'll ask again...does anybody know what happened to another talented guitar contemporary of Richie Kotzen by the name of blues Saraceno?
  15. pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I think Blues Saraceno was in poison for a while... I do remember he did some stuff with Ginger Baker and Jack Bruce as sort of a Cream live reunion thing? Someone may know better of that than I remember. He did mostly solo stuff, more of a bluesy edge to his playing... pretty good stuff, actually!

16. jerry

Dec 13, 1999
    I bought a album last year by a band named Transmission OK because Blues Saraceno was the guitar didn't light my fire! They sounded like any other band trying to get played on MTV:(
  17. Boplicity

Thanks Jerry and pmkelly. I used to like Blues' work back in the early nineties, but lost track of him. I worried that he was just one of many talented musicians who seem to set the world on fire for a year or two then disappear from the music scene all together.
  18. jerry

Dec 13, 1999
    I also dug Blues Saraceno's first two solo albums, I thought he played way beyond his age, and I like him better than most of the other teenage players of the time.......except Derek Trucks......who was/is such a badass;)
  19. Boplicity

It does seem as if Derek Trucks is more successful right at the moment. Maybe it helps to have friends and family in high places, but I really shouldn't say that, as Trucks does have ample talent too.
  20. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I just got Richie Kotzen's album Slow, very cool stuff, similar to Stevie Salas - recommended.

I searched for Blues Saraceno, but his website hasn't been updated in a year...