Richter MX2 Active Blend Pot

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by fast slapper, Sep 26, 2016.

Tags:
  1. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    Anyone have any experience with this active blend control? Pricey for what it is but might be willing to try one if the quality is there. Thanks.

RICHTER ELECTRONIC ENGINEERING

2. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    Ordered. Look for a short report in a couple of weeks or so. I have high expectations for this knob. We'll see if it holds up.

3. davideuck

davideuck

May 20, 2010
    Catania, ITALY
    Please, could you report how it performs and what are the other components involved? Bass, pickups, electronics...
    What type of system are you replacing?

4. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    This will be put into a MTD kingston with a Q-tuner in the neck and a Delano ferrite mm. No extra electronics or tone controls. Last preamp in it was an Audere 4-band classic.

Will try it into a GK MB500, A&H mixer, and a Presonus RC500(line,mic,instrument inputs).

Hiss is a huge pet peeve of mine. Hoping it will be very minor as active blend controls are my favorite tone controls anywhere in the signal path.

PawleeP likes this.
  5. DaveAceofBass

DaveAceofBass Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    I haven't tried this one, but I did try the Noll MixPot. It was awful and I couldn't get it back out of my bass fast enough. It added noise, and the blended levels of both magnetic pickups together was way louder than the soloed pickups. I have a passive Noll blend now and it works way better in my Kinal bass with Kent Armstrong pickups and Aguilar preamp.

6. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    Interesting. Thanks for sharing. It's hard to find any feedback on these things. The EMG was also on my radar but some reports were similar to your experience with the Noll.

If this doesn't satisfy, Bart buffers will be next. If all else fails then it looks like a Grace Felix with one pickup per channel will end this search ;).

7. Wow, 2.2meg input z per channel. That's really high. If you are used to hearing your pickups with a passive blend pot, or two passive volume pots, I think you'll hear a significant increase in the treble response of your pickups with this kind of buffering.

8. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    Also has a jumper for 100,000 ohms. If it's too bright I'll give it a try. I'm running straight to the jack at the moment.

9. Wow. From 2Meg to 100K is a big jump. It's pretty easy to wire your own load resistors though. This way you can set the z just as you like it. Or even different for each pickup...

fast slapper likes this.
  10. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    Installed it this afternoon.

Pros:
    - Construction and ease of installation.
    - Sound quality. Never harsh.
    - Even blend. (adjust mini pot for fine tuning)

Cons:
    - Noise doesn't seem different than other onboards I've tried.

Noise is going off memory. Will compare directly to a couple Audere pres I have some other time.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2016
  11. Is that with the z switched to 100k? I'd think the 2.2M setting is really for piezo pickups and would have a higher noise floor.

A simple buffer blend should have less noise than a 4-band (set flat). How are you comparing the hiss?

12. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    So far only by memory into the same amps/mixer. I will do side to side comparisons when I have a chance. I've only tried it at 2.2M.

13. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    I compared my 2008 Audere JZ3 with the Richter. Noise is very similar between the two in their respective high and medium impedance settings. The Audere sounds like it uses an A/C blend with the center detent being a little quieter while the Richter is the opposite. I find both to be a compromise and will be based on personal preference to which is better. Sound quality is very good on both.

miljoneir and PawleeP like this.
  14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 27, 2022