Rick 4001 neck problem!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by barroso, Feb 12, 2003.

1. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    i have 1980 Rickenbacker 4001. i used to play this bass a lot in the past. it was my only bass.

now i have other basses and play them all.

yesterday i took the Ric out of the hardcase to play with it.

i noticed that knocking on the back of the neck there is a noise inside the neck. it's like something inside the neck is moving when i knock.

i am sure that this noise is not produced by strings or by something out of the neck.

the noise is coming from the inside.

i am afraid that there is something wrong with the truss rods.
    i have not yet checked out if the truss rods are still functional.
    have you ever experienced this on a bass?

i am worried...

2. Hmm, if memory serves aren't the truss rods kind of peculiar on the Rics? Aren't they like bars that distort or something??? I could of course be talking rubbish!

I have found strange rattling noises before on my bass - turned out it was the starp button on the top horn was loose!

I hope your 'issue' is as simple as mine to fix!:)
  3. no you are right boomer auld chappie
    they are flat metal 'hairpins'
    which distort to form curves when the nut is tightened
    my ric rattled as well and i think the nuts had crushed the wood so that they were slackish
    also they eventually got upside down and pushed off the fretboard....
    how is it you have a pic??
  4. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    I had a similar problem on my new 4003. All it took was to remove the truss rod cover and tighten one of the bolts on the truss rod just a bit. It had wiggled loose and was rattling around. I posted my problem on alt.guitar.rickenbacker and got a nice email from John Hall telling me exactly what to do. It was a real easy fix.

5. Well baste my steaming puddings - it's mrcrow!

Good to see you over here!

The piccy - avatar - is for being a supporting member. $20 donation per year gets you a snazzy piccy - of your choice, and access to the chat room! It's as close as I could find to the bike I own, it's actually a ZX-9R and mine is a ZX-6R, butbI didn't figure folk would notice!

Yep, I've been on here longer than HCBF!:)
  6. well i am a newbie of course
    and there is a lot of smack over here as well
    each day i get a bit more data crammed in
    think they would accept my 1951 velocete viper MAC as an avatar...
    see you around old chap