Rick 4001 Rotosound Analog

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by CORBS, Oct 8, 2017.

1. CORBS

CORBS

Dec 28, 2010
    Greetings, I have a '78 Rick 4001. I want the Ric/Rotosound sound but I dont want the tension or fret wear that possibly could result from using Swing 66s. Has anyone found another type of string that would give the same effect but is lower tension or has coating or something? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

trothwell likes this.
  2. GK Growl

GK Growl Inactive

Dec 31, 2011
    My vote would be for Dunlop Super Bright NICKELS...not the steels (or if steel, then maybe the Marcus Miller signature set). The nickels to me have a crunch and grind in the mids very similar to Rotosound RS66 Steel but are way more flexible for the same gauge and the nickel plating is much softer to the hands and frets.

eriky4003, Spidey2112 and CORBS like this.
  3. CORBS

CORBS

Dec 28, 2010
    Thanks a lot man. I've used Dunlop Stainless on my other basses and really liked them. My concern was that they were high tension. Are the Super Brights lower tension?

4. GK Growl

GK Growl Inactive

Dec 31, 2011
    Yes, much lower than the standard Dunlops. In fact, you may not like them because they flex so much, especially compared to something like Rotosound Swing Bass 66 Steel.

CORBS likes this.
  5. U2BOEW

U2BOEW

Dec 26, 2010
    Rotosound makes the RS66 in Nickel. They sound just as good as the Stainless version but are easier on the frets (and fingers) They come in the Blue package and have an "N" after the gauge suffix

Attached Files:

CORBS likes this.
  6. Today they use a harder fret wire so wear is considerably less & slower than in decades past.

7. GK Growl

GK Growl Inactive

Dec 31, 2011
    They also make the Rotobass series which is the same string minus silk at the head stock.

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 25, 2021