1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Rick 4003 Hum

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by drewphishes, Jan 5, 2018.

Tags:
  1. drewphishes

drewphishes Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2017
    Philly
    Its driving me a bit nutty.

Is the RWRP mod worth it?

would just shielding be better?

Im confident with a soldering iron so thats not a big deal to me

2. Mastermold

Mastermold Supporting Member

It's worse in some venues than others. When mine acts up I just hit the mute between songs.

3. drewphishes

Feb 14, 2017
    Philly
    its HORRRIBlE in my house, old wiring

4. Mastermold

Mastermold Supporting Member

Ah, that would be a bugger. Mine's fine at home thankfully. It's only an issue when playing out that I run into from time to time depending on the venue.

5. Warpeg

Warpeg Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    I used to live in a few spots with less-than-stellar wiring. The Rics I owned while living in those places would be just plain noisy, regardless of shielding or other modifications. The only one that I "fixed" was an old 2001 MapleGlo that I put some Bart humbuckers in. That did the trick. Of course, the tone of the bass was substantially changed because of the pickup change.

6. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Lost Wages, Nevada
    The RWRG mod will probably make most of it go away. Shielding? Well, it can't hurt, but probably won't help much for this particular problem. Single coils hum; that's just the way they are. Which is why humbuckers were invented...The best you can do is replace them - and lose the Rick SC sound - or, minimize it as much as possible with the RWRG mod. Ideally, I suppose you could re-wire your house... nah, probably not..;) None of my Ricks (I have 3) have a problem in my house - which is about the only place they get played anymore. None of my single coil instruments do, as a matter of fact... :cool:

7. NealBass

NealBass Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2014
    Ontario
    Both of my 4001v63's hum, unless I'm pointing towards Arizona. I think they're calling to @mapleglo - Queen of the Ricks... ;)

mapleglo and Don Hank like this.
  8. mapleglo

mapleglo Gold Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2013
    phoenix, az
    You know, my house was built in the 50's, and none of my Ric's hum. Only when I plug in to 2 different outlets. Just lucky, I suppose.

NealBass likes this.
  9. what's the big deal with hum? can you hear it over the music?

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
  10. drewphishes

Feb 14, 2017
    Philly
    Welppp tried the mod...

And I killed it lol.

Gonna have to take it to a tech. Yeesh

11. kulit17

kulit17 Wal Collector #35 Supporting Member

I guess all my Rics know the words since they they don't hum.......

***ba-dum-bum-tsshh***