1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

rick 4003 or fender american standard

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassmastan, Jan 1, 2012.

1. bassmastan

bassmastan Guest

Jun 25, 2011
    I can get them for the same price. I want to know which is most versitile? Can you use a rick for jazz? Which is better in the long run? And lastly which is the most professional?

2. NightTripper

NightTripper

Oct 20, 2011
    I would say both are just as versatile, but I think the Rickenbacker has a wider range of possible tones than the P.

Personally, I would go with the Rickenbacker, just because it happens to be my dream bass.

3. bassmastan

bassmastan Guest

Jun 25, 2011
    BTW its an american standard Jazz not percison, should have classified that.

4. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Gonna depend on which ones sound char you like better imo. With the jazz theres a lot of pup replacment options available. For various sound tweaking to taste for pups voices. And you can also add preamp of choice to it providing control cavity allows room. With the Rick, theres not much in the way of replacement pups. But some have dared to replace their rick bridge with something they like better. Rick worshippers can get grumpy about that though. And a rick with non rick bridge and preamp and delano or villex pups made to order would get them hopping mad for sure.

Probably safer to get the jazz. lmao.

5. bassmastan

bassmastan Guest

Jun 25, 2011
    I'm looking to get something right out of the box awesome, no pup replacements. Another factor is which is less maintenance? Thanks everyone contributing.

6. cassius987

cassius987 Banned

Apr 20, 2007
    Denver, CO
    These are fundamentally unanswerable questions. Sorry, they just are. You really need to play one and find what works for YOU.

I played a Ric through my college scholarship in jazz band so yes, you can play a Ric in a jazz setting, just like you can play any bass in any genre if you are decent. I got paid to do it after college for a while, too.

I saw your maintenance question. I think this one is pretty easy to answer actually, based on my experience. The Ric is probably more hassle up-front because you have to learn its ins and outs, but they pretty much stay set up "for life" once you've gotten them dialed in right. I can say this for every Ric I own, but it's especially true of the old models with the novice-unfriendly truss rods that literally lock the neck. Fenders don't act like that, requiring regular set ups and the like, but they are easier for a novice to work on.

7. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I would go for the jazz, because I prefer their tone, playability, and aesthetics over that of the Ric.

8. gwangi

gwangi Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2009
    Forbidden Valley
    I would go for the Fender Jazz also.

9. bassmastan

bassmastan Guest

Jun 25, 2011
    Why gwangi?

10. jag872002

jag872002

Jun 16, 2009
    If you want the ric get it. Its a really cool sounding bass. I love the sound of a ric because it sound like nothing else. But, the jazz is like a swiss army knife. You can get many sounds out of it.
    You could always get the ric and trade it for the jazz if you dont like it. Or get a ric and but a vm jazz.

11. NightTripper

NightTripper

Oct 20, 2011
    Oh, I don't know why I said P. But for my own tastes, that just makes the choice easier for me. I'm just not a J guy. But play both if you can and decide what you like better.

12. gwangi

gwangi Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2009
    Forbidden Valley

Honestly I love Rickenbackers, I have a '83 4001 but I really think a Fender Jazz is more versatile, has a little more low end and the jazz pickups have alot of tone to work with.
    But try both of them out and let your ears make the final decision.
    Gwangi

13. The American Standard will be "the sound" you hear on a lot of recordings. So in that sense, it'll be more versatile. They're also more ergonomically comfortable to play for a lot of people, myself included. I've owned both, and the Fender was one of the most comfortable, best sounding basses I've had. Plus they tend to be a tad bit lighter than the Rics on average.

14. Korladis

Korladis Banned Supporting Member

Yes, you can play a Rickenbacker in a jazz setting.

Honestly, you can play any genre on almost any bass.

I would get whichever is more comfortable for you to play.

As far as having enough low end... Chris Brubeck seems to get enough low end out of the neck pickup on a Rickenbacker. They can dish out some serious lows.

I obviously favor Rickenbackers, but honestly, no bad option here.

15. If you get a Jazz, the Ric will call to you. You'll end up owning both.

If you get the Ric, the Jazz will call to you. You'll end up owning both.

You're doomed.

16. miholc

miholc

Aug 17, 2009
    How can be an instrument professional? I seriously don't understand this....

It is you who make something out of your gear, and not vice versa.

17. bassmastan

bassmastan Guest

Jun 25, 2011
    I'm not trying to sound shallow, I just want to know which is better in a professional setting, ie recording,playing gigs daily, and general wear and tear of travel.

18. adampc

adampc

Nov 21, 2011
    London, England
    All depends on what sound you wanna go for it, like ricken backer 4003 is a great bass but needs to be played around with loads to get a good tone,

Wheres with a fender american standard it's a lot more versatile and can easily pick out some great tones

19. My experience is the exact opposite. The Ric gives me interesting choices everywhere, the Jazz I have to spend time to dial in.

Here's another tune with my Ric 4003. Both pickups, volume and tone wide open.

Wild & Blue

There's a little player that pops up at the link after a couple of seconds. Still looking for a better server ;)