Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

rick 4003 tuning issue

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by PinkTelephone, Nov 8, 2005.

1. hey guys, i play a rickenbacker 4003 in a metal band and we play in c standard tuning. the bass sounds like a god in e and even d, punchy crisp bright, i loved it. i just recently bought new strings for it to tune to c, they,re a kinda crappy band, i think there called boomers, and they are i believe .115 - .55 (maybe .50) but now the bass sounds muddy and slow. i has no attack without an amp with only treble. like it just doesnt sound good anymore. now i know the neck is only 33 1/4 inch but could i downgrade the string gauge to get more attack without the strings buzzing and hitting the frets, or am i just doomed to have a muddy rick in c tuning? i really didnt want to spend more money on anything do to me just getting all new amps for like 2000ish. any help would be great, thanks alot guys.

2. Check the intonation, adjust the bridge, so on, so forth.

3. Agreed on the action, intonation and everything, and I might also add that you might want to look at some different strings. For me, the GHS Bass Boomers are just that, a little boomy. I've heard good things about GHS High-Beams and I personally get a lot of bite from a regular-slinky set of Ernie Balls. There's also a possibility that the heavier strings could be hitting slightly on the built-in mute in the bridge (provided this is still standard on a Ric, its been a while since I've seen one up-close and personal)

4. CWK

CWK

Jun 9, 2005
    South Centeral Pa.
    Look at the string change.
    bill