1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

rick bass - truss rod "plate"?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by tonyshel, Oct 7, 2013.

1. tonyshel

tonyshel

Oct 7, 2013
    Hi, all ...
    I have a 1983 Rickenbacker 4003 and am having some work done on it. At the body side of the neck, the two truss rods are apparently held together with a rectangular plate. That plate is broken: split down the middle into two pieces. At first, the luthier doing the work said he'd repair or replace the plate. Later he said that he adjusted the rods, has the neck in fine shape, and now doesn't think it's necessary to repair the plate.

My question: is it OK to leave that truss rod plate split in two? Should it be welded together or replaced?

Thanks.

2. I'm not a Ric expert but my guess is he's right--doesn't matter. The plate simply functions as a big washer. In fact it might actually work BETTER being two separate parts.

3. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I convert 4 string Rickenbackers to 5 string basses.
    I tought I had one of those laying around in my workshop ... but I can't find it ...

4. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I convert 4 string Rickenbackers to 5 string basses.
  5. tonyshel

tonyshel

Oct 7, 2013
    thanks for the replies.

indeed, after a more research out there, it turns out that the '83 had separate nut plates for the dual truss rods. as i've learned, the plate wasn't "broken" at all -- was in two pieces by design.