Rick Beato on Seal’s “Kiss From A Rose”

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by bass12, Jun 10, 2021.

1. bass12

bass12 Blistering barnacles! Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    I’ve been a Seal fan since the “pre-mix” version of the first album. When “Kiss From A Rose” was released as a single I thought, “What an odd choice for a single”. I really didn’t think the song was single material (as nice as I thought the song was). Shows what I know (or knew) about what makes for an appropriate single (although, to be fair to myself, the song was only a success after it appeared in the Batman film). Anyway, Rick breaks the recording down here (complete with an interview with Seal) and demonstrates just how fantastic it is.

Seanto, JimK, Fretless1! and 14 others like this.
  2. LBS-bass

LBS-bass

Nov 22, 2017
    I love this record but I agree it was an odd choice. Here's my favorite track from it:

3. friskinator

friskinator Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Georgia
    Lots of heavyweight players on that record, including Pino Palladino.

westrock, DJ Bebop, MonetBass and 4 others like this.
  4. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Bootlegger guitars : S.I.T. Strings Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Florida USA
    Watched that video yesterday
    Incredible songs, arrangements, production and performance
    To think of the depths to which current pop music has fallen amazes me

Vinny_G, JimK, Fretless1! and 6 others like this.
  5. bass12

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    Yeah, I wish the performers were listed by track in that (and the first) album.

The Owl and LBS-bass like this.
  6. bass12

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    “Prayer...” was the first single from the album. Also a great track.

The Owl likes this.
  7. I still remember the first time I heard "Kiss From A Rose" on the radio. It must have been early 1995-ish, or thereabouts. I enjoyed it then, and have done ever since.

8. ElectroVibe

ElectroVibe

Mar 2, 2013
    I've always loved the song.

9. Wilmingtonian

Wilmingtonian

Aug 20, 2011
    I’ve watched a good many of Beato’s videos and like them all (except for his tantrums about ‘blockers’) but wish he’d come up with another name for the “what makes this song great” ones because while he breaks them down thoroughly he always seems to not be able to live up to that title; there is only so much I can get out of knowing what chords and keys were used.

10. smtp4me

smtp4me

Sep 30, 2013
    Philadelphia, PA
    Amen...

berman3313 and Bass4Brkfast like this.
  11. Dr. Love

Dr. Love

Nov 5, 2008
    Lubbock, TX
    I just watched this yesterday and even though I've heard the song 10,000,000 times since '95, I never noticed how complex it was. Pretty cool.

JimK likes this.
  12. JakobT

JakobT

Jan 9, 2014
    Oslo, Norway
    Well, you have to admit that the chords and keys are a major part of a song. :)

Admittedly, I don't get as much out of these videos as I might have either, but that is solely due to my shortcomings as a musician, particularily as regards music theory.

Besides, he touches on plenty of other subjects, the use of different instruments, production, lyrics and the history of the song. This time, he even threw in an interview with the artist.

I'm not sure how much more we can really ask the guy to dish out for free. :)

Nuage420, elgecko, Chazwr and 12 others like this.
  13. Wilmingtonian

Wilmingtonian

Aug 20, 2011
    Yeah, but what about them makes the song great?

A different title? The free part .. that's my line! I'm always objecting to people making demands of content they do nothing but sit on their ass and click to acquire; Like I said, I like the guy/videos, it's just they fail to really encapsulate the 'what makes great part' - and that's because that quality is so hard to quantify.

14. WaveyDavey

WaveyDavey Supporting Member

Not to try and hijack the thread, but is it just me, or does it seem like Rick Beato would be a hell of a lot of fun to hang out with in a jam room for a few hours?

He’s like the Anthony Bourdain of music theory.

Nuage420, JimK, Pimmsley and 20 others like this.
  15. Wilmingtonian

Wilmingtonian

Aug 20, 2011
    Absolutely - How did I not connect those two?

16. BtaylorTheRogue

BtaylorTheRogue

Nov 14, 2016
    I dig it! I think if I could jam with someone, it'd be him or Wooten, just because they're so skilled, knowledgable, and yet down to earth.

I love Beato's style of presentation.

Nuage420, Grizelda100 and WaveyDavey like this.
  17. Does anyone else remember hearing the controversy surrounding this album when it came out? I want to say first that the album sounds amazing.

However, I feel like some musicians involved in the sessions made comments that they came in to the studio, "worked on getting a sound", and were then told that they were done... only to hear "their sounds" playing things on the record they didn't play.

I really don't remember details.... maybe this is more of a conspiracy theory?

18. JakobT

JakobT

Jan 9, 2014
    Oslo, Norway
    I don’t agree. I think he’s very clear about what - in his opinion - makes the song great, and why. You might disagree, but that’s neither here nor there.

Nuage420 and WaveyDavey like this.
  19. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    I saw it but am just not interested in listening to him talk for over 30 minutes.

3bc and Wilmingtonian like this.
  20. kwdhsk

kwdhsk Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2009
    Southport, NC
    Thanks for sharing. I love how Rick Beato disects songs, plus I love his enthusiasm. This song is a classic masterpiece and I enjoyed watching this video.

Nuage420, JimK, Chazwr and 3 others like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021