1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rick James' "Bustin' Out". envelope filter or auto wah?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by iggy, Mar 10, 2008.

1. iggy

iggy

Jan 3, 2006
    Hello to all the funkateers out there.

I need some help from all you effect junkies. I am wondering, on Rick James' hit song "Bustin' Out", what effect is the bass guitar triggering? It sounds like it could be an envelope filter of some sort or an auto wah. I don't know how to post a link to the song but could someone find the song and check it out and let me know the following. Is the effect an envelope filter or wah? Which pedal would you recommend to get that sound?
    Everyone seems to compare filter sounds with Bootsy, but listen to the track and hear how a precision bass should sound like when its "funkafied".
    Thanx, Iggy.:bassist:

2. assboglin

assboglin Banned

Jul 13, 2007
    Phaser.

3. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs

Yep, phaser. Maybe an auto filter as well? It's def. funkier and fatter than the "average" phaser.

4. iggy

iggy

Jan 3, 2006
    Are you sure? It sounds like the bass has a vocal like sound.
    Could it be a phaser with an envelope filter in there also? Which phaser would you recommend?

5. iggy

iggy

Jan 3, 2006
    Bongo, I've read alot on your posts and am glad I got you on the line. Could you give me recommendations on getting that fat sound with some of the pedals you have experience with?

6. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Although I haven't tried one yet myself ( :eek: ) I'm betting the Pigtronix EP1 would be a good choice based on the posts I've read here. None of the phasers I've personally owned were quite that funky, although it's def. a phaser sound (although possibly filtered too).

7. assboglin

assboglin Banned

Jul 13, 2007
    It's all phaser. The tricky part to cop is the part when the bassist starts busting out the plucking. I've only had 8-9 phasers so I'm no expert on them, but the modern phasers I've found that come closer to a tone like that are actually the older Boss analog Phasers (can't remember but I've had a couple) and the MXR Phase 100, which sounds great but lacks a little bit of that bite on the plucking.

Edit: yeah check out the pigtronix too

8. iggy

iggy

Jan 3, 2006
    Thanx, I'll do a search for it and check it out.

9. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    Maybe try a Bassballs on low sensitivity. It's got a sort-of phaserish sound along with the envelope filter sound, hard to figure out exactly what it's doing...

10. bigchiefbc

bigchiefbc Supporting Member

Oct 9, 2006
    Rhode Island, USA
    Also, the EHX Stereo Polyphase does an envelope phaser as well. It can get the funk out pretty well

11. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    That song's badass. Its too bad that Slick Rick is primarily known as a caricature of himself via Dave Chappelle. He laid down some serious, stanky 'fonk'.

12. iggy

iggy

Jan 3, 2006
    You said it all El. Going back and listening to all the jams of my past is what I love to do now. I saw Rick back in the early 80's at the Channel in Boston, Ma. and he blew me away. Getting a band together to capture his music and "doin it right" would be the snizzle, if you know what I mean.

13. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    Boss ph-2 or ph-1?

14. assboglin

assboglin Banned

Jul 13, 2007
    Both but I don't remember much about them. I've also had the PH-3 (yuck). Some people like them but they weren't the phaser sound I was after. I much prefer an MXR Phase 100 on bass.