For Sale Rick Kelly Bowery Pine bass formerly owned by Walter Becker

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by claytone, Jun 14, 2021.

1. claytone

claytone

May 8, 2012
    Price:
    Strings:
    United States
    A singular custom instrument, handmade by Rick Kelly of Carmine Street Guitars for the late great Walter Becker of Steely Dan, noted gear connoisseur and supporter of indie luthiers. It is cons 8044A687-EF0C-47FE-8B3E-2C7BF3CFA6E9.jpeg tructed of reclaimed 100 year old pine from Kelly's "Bowery Pine" series ("The Bones of Old New York City") and features two single coil Lindy Fralin pickups in the style of a stack knob Jazz Bass, coupled with the string-thru body design of an early 50's P-bass. The thin natural finish allows the wood to vibrate freely and huge thick neck contributes to the instrument's large woody tonal character. This bass is relatively light, in the 8+ lb. range, and is in excellent condition. Comes with gig bag and papers from the Becker estate. For more info on Rick Kelly's Bowery Pine basses check out his website at Carmine Street Guitars. Also check out on Youtube the G.E. Smith Rig Rundown from the Roger Waters tour, where G.E. describes in detail his own Bowery Pine bass.

Attached Files:

2. solo-act

solo-act

Sep 8, 2009
    That’d be in my house if I had the funds…

3. Lowendtech

Lowendtech Happily trending in my own peculiar direction. Supporting Member

Wow. That’s a solid one piece neck.

elkkid2 likes this.
  4. subtlestew

subtlestew Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2000
    Kent, CT
    For further education on Carmine Street Guitars, check out this documentary about them. Cool place! And I love the way he uses reclaimed wood from various NYC locations - super cool.

elkkid2 and jerry like this.
  5. BobDeRosa

BobDeRosa Supporting Member Commercial User

May 16, 2012
    Finger Lakes area of New York State
    Owner, Tritone Jazz Fantasy Camps
    Do you know if Walter played this on any recordings where we might hear it? I've never heard a pine body.

elkkid2 likes this.
  6. TimBosby

TimBosby Gold Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Holy cow. Or should I say... holy Black Cow.

7. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    Very cool

8. claytone

claytone

May 8, 2012
    BobDeRosa, Walter Becker had so many guitars and basses that he shifted constantly from one instrument to another. It may be there is a record of what instrument he used on which cut, in which demo session or soundcheck, but I've never seen it. The comprehensive catalog from the estate sale lists a few instruments used for such and such tour, but none of it is reliable. Fact is, I bought this bass because I've played a Rick Kelley Bowery Pine Telecaster for the past twelve years and love his work. As a longtime SD fan, Becker's involvement is second to Kelly's.

elkkid2 likes this.
  9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 27, 2021