1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rick-o- coincidence

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ferniff, Nov 15, 2010.

1. Ever since I saw Scott Pilgrim vs. The World, I fell in love with the Rickenbacker 4003. Maybe I was just never observant enough but I just didn't notice how many artists I liked used that bass. First off, me being a huge Beatles fan, I'm ashamed that I didn't know Sir Paul McCartney was a major user of the Rick. I assumed he used other basses beside the Hofner, but didn't think he used a Rick.
    Next up I'm watching the music video for The Aquabats "Super rad" and what guitar is the bass player using...the rick.

And now just a moment ago I learned "Anarchy in the UK" (Real easy song). I check it out the video for it and Youtube and bam! There it is again.

What other artists were major users of the Rick?

2. manbearpig97

manbearpig97

Mar 28, 2010
    Chris Squier
    Geddy Lee
    Chris Baio
    Just three of the many who do

3. Many of the best bassists in the world have used a Rick at one time or another. Cliff Burton (Metallica), Bruce Foxton (The Jam), John Entwistle, Geddy and Chris Squire are 2 MAJOR Rick players, Lemmy from Motorhead, Mike Rutherford in the Peter Gabriel-era Genesis, Roger Glover (Deep Purple), Mike Mills (REM), Tommy Stinson (Replacements), Glen Matlock (Sex Pistols), Paul D'Amour (Tool), and MANY others.

4. Jaymi

Jaymi Pink Bass Man

Feb 11, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Ampeg , GHS
    just about every major player in the 70's had one or used one during their career in the sun...

5. Paul Simonon (Clash) early on, Rick James, Lemmy...

6. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    I love the Aquabats and that video! They're geniuses, so horribly underrated because they're nothing close to mainstream of any era.

7. I haven't seen that film but I believe that they swapped the tones between the Mustang and the Rickenbacker basses in it... Or something to that effect...

8. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    Interestingly enough, the bass used to record the Ric solo was a Mustang and the Mustang was recorded with a Ric.

9. the aquabats use squier now i believe cool

10. the yeti

the yeti

Nov 6, 2007
    raleigh, nc
    ...i love the way they look, but that neck... do not like.:rollno:

hat's off to you guys that do!:bassist:
    that's a cool looking bass.

11. Rush-2112

Rush-2112

Dec 14, 2008
    New York City
    Geddy's known for that amazing Ric tone! One of my faves:

It's really too bad he doesn't take out his Ric's too often anymore.

12. Mayers

Mayers Guest

Sep 28, 2007
    Les Claypool on the DVD "Five Gallons of Diesel" used one.

13. joncapozzi

joncapozzi

Apr 29, 2010
    Al Cisneros in Sleep, OM and Shrinebuilder.

14. Chris Wolstenholme uses them sometimes.

15. pringlw

pringlw

Nov 22, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Rics are great. Personally I find I'm doing a perfect Ric circle.

I played my 4001fl for years and years. Then when i wanted to get back into a fretted bass, went the more standard routes (Fender, EBMM, etc). Bought a 4003 Jetglo about 2 years ago for fun, but didn't play it much. Now, I find it's growing on me more and more. That sound, I just can't get it out of anything else. And I'm used to the feel of it again (but it took a while). Now I love the damn thing.

16. You listed some punk rock bands that you like that play Rics....check this out:D

17. ChronicPyromaniac

ChronicPyromaniac

Jan 25, 2001
    Do you have a reference for this? I love the tone of the "Ric" in that scene.

18. I'm pretty sure the only bass Lemmy uses is a Ric. From what i've seen