1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rick-o-philes.. can I get some help with a vintage 4001?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by magnaton, Dec 26, 2017.

1. magnaton

magnaton

Dec 12, 2013
    Boston
    Hey there,

Looking for my first Rick, because they're cool and I've always wanted to mess around with one. Don't know a ton about them, beyond some things I've heard re vintage necks being a bit interesting...

Found this guy on Reverb. Love the dark stain, checkerboard binding. Seems like a player, but that's perfect for me. Couple things stand out though

Rickenbacker 4001 1972 Hardwood | John 's Gear Outlet

1/ Obvious refin, changed tuner, electronics. Not terribly bothered by that
    2/ Bridge changed to a badass.. no strong feelings there
    3/ The pick guard goes over the binding? Not sure what that's about. Any ideas?

What else am I missing? Are there things that are red flags here? Unfortunately when it comes to Ricks I don't know what I don't know.

Many thanks!!

Garret Graves likes this.
  2. Tvrtko

Tvrtko

Dec 27, 2002
    South of the USA
    I would not bother with that one.
    I had one 1979 and I wanted it so much. At the end I was very disappointed with it. Sold it in 1/2price I payed for and never looked back.

3. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Not sure if the main photo is true to form, as the proportions of the body look off... I wouldn't touch it.

4. I would not buy a vintage Ric without having put my hands on it first. They are all different, and you could get gold or a stinker. Also that's overpriced for that much of a hot rod-almost nothing is original. A pretty cool bass for 1200-1500 bucks, not for over 2k. You'd end up blowing almost a grand just returning it to stock (if one were so inclined).

ajkula66 likes this.
  5. Not worth the asking price. Non original, asking vintage money for a modded, what would otherwise be a classic and (again IMO) somewhat collectable bass. The mods may (or may not) make it a better player but they detract from the resale value.

Garret Graves likes this.
  6. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Lost Wages, Nevada
    Uh... no. The pick guard may or may not be a Rick part; and Rick's bass bodies have varied in size - but, that one is definitely the wrong one for this bass. That's one... "The fretboard was separated from the body"? Somebody messed with the hairpin truss rods without knowing what they were doing, and popped it off. That's not the end of the world, but I would have to have it in my hands, and inspect the truss rods and the neck very, very closely, before I'd give the guy a dime. That's two... Somebody replaced the toaster neck pickup and the Horseshoe bridge pick up? There's a large percentage of that bass's value gone. That's three... One of the Wavy Grover tuners is gone? Try to find one of those.. and be sitting down when you see what they want for it. That's four... the original bridge/tailpiece is gone? Yeah, if you want, I suppose; on a new 4003. It's your bass. On a '72 4001? That's five... And the refin - if that's what they want to call it - is six. Maybe if you could get it for less than a Grand, and had the patience and the $$$'s to fix it. Otherwise? Cross the street; then pass it by...:rollno::rollno:

Last edited: Dec 26, 2017
    Garret Graves and ajkula66 like this.
  7. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    No way, even if your name is José. Do not buy this bass at that price. You'd be far better off buying a new 4003 for less money, as they are much better players, and hold their value.

Reverend179 and Garret Graves like this.
  8. magnaton

magnaton

Dec 12, 2013
    Boston
    Ah you folks are awesome! Thanks very much for the heads up. So glad I asked

9. Boristhespyder

Boristhespyder Guest

Feb 12, 2016
    Might be a trick of the eye but does the pickup spacing seem off? They seem much closer than normal spacing to me.

10. lowendblues

lowendblues Supporting Member

Oct 8, 2004
    Ohio
    Its got neck issues....The home made "bolt through string retainer" at the headpiece is a tell tale sign of a forward neck bow.