Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

rick-o-sound

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by olps, Jun 8, 2002.

1. olps

olps

Nov 12, 2001
    Canada
    I was looking at a 73 Rickenbacker bass, and it had to jacks. A normal stereo one, and one for rick-o-sound? What is it for? Some special type of amp? Thanks.

2. tim4003

tim4003

Apr 30, 2002
    Dawsonville , GA
    One jack is mono, and the other is Rick-o-Sound(stereo). R-o-S sends the signal from the bridge pick up(treble) to one source(amp) & the neck pick up(bass) signal to another source(amp).

3. olps

olps

Nov 12, 2001
    Canada
    Do you have to use a special amp for the Rick-o-sound?

4. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    Nope. You need two though.

5. olps

olps

Nov 12, 2001
    Canada
    Two???:confused: I'm lost. How would you hook that up?? Thanks.

6. tim4003

tim4003

Apr 30, 2002
    Dawsonville , GA
    You will need at least a stereo amp, one P/U for each channel, or two mono amps, one P/U for each amp. Rickenbacker sells a R-o-S box to split the signal to two channels for about $70, but some players use a Y cord to do the same thing. I would get the R-o-S kit personally. I've heard these make a difference.

7. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    The point of R-o-S is that you send the signals from one pickup to one amp, and the signals from the other pickup to the other amp. For instance,

bridge p/u -> marshall stack
    neck p/u -> Sunn head + 2x15"

:)

8. olps

olps

Nov 12, 2001
    Canada
    Do they still put the rick-o-sound on there new basses?? Thanks alot for all the info.

9. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    Absolutely! It's always been a Rickenbacker exclusive feature on the 4001 and 4003. However you will not find it on a 4001S, 4003S or 4001v63 as they are equipped with mono outputs.

Cheers,

10. 00soul

00soul

Jan 4, 2005
    seal beach, ca

i dunno if it makes a difference or not, but i would pick up a rick-o-sound kit just because they are going to stop selling the kits.

11. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Indeed, John Hall announced that once the current inventory is gone, it's gone.

I don't think there's anything too special about the ROS box, it's basically just a Y-adapter (though made with good components and cable, it's no cheapie Radio Shack Y-adapter. ;) The current Rickenbacker guitar and bass owners manual mentions that any decent quality stereo cable or shielded Y-cable can be used instead of the ROS box.

12. apollo11

apollo11

Aug 19, 2004
    New York
    I just picked up a ROS box, and it is awesome to use, and very nice quality, too. It is currently set up as such:

neck p/u goes to an Ampeg 210 watt combo.
    bridge p/u goes to a Fender 100 watt combo.

Even with this non-fancy setup, the sound is huge. For those with a Ric, the ROS kit is well worth the $72 investment.