Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by olps, Jun 8, 2002.

1. olps

Nov 12, 2001
    I was looking at a 73 Rickenbacker bass, and it had to jacks. A normal stereo one, and one for rick-o-sound? What is it for? Some special type of amp? Thanks.
  2. tim4003

Apr 30, 2002
    Dawsonville , GA
    One jack is mono, and the other is Rick-o-Sound(stereo). R-o-S sends the signal from the bridge pick up(treble) to one source(amp) & the neck pick up(bass) signal to another source(amp).
  3. olps

Nov 12, 2001
    Do you have to use a special amp for the Rick-o-sound?
  4. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    Nope. You need two though.
  5. olps

Nov 12, 2001
    Two???:confused: I'm lost. How would you hook that up?? Thanks.
  6. tim4003

Apr 30, 2002
    Dawsonville , GA
    You will need at least a stereo amp, one P/U for each channel, or two mono amps, one P/U for each amp. Rickenbacker sells a R-o-S box to split the signal to two channels for about $70, but some players use a Y cord to do the same thing. I would get the R-o-S kit personally. I've heard these make a difference.
  7. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    The point of R-o-S is that you send the signals from one pickup to one amp, and the signals from the other pickup to the other amp. For instance,

bridge p/u -> marshall stack
    neck p/u -> Sunn head + 2x15"

8. olps

Nov 12, 2001
    Do they still put the rick-o-sound on there new basses?? Thanks alot for all the info.
  9. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Absolutely! It's always been a Rickenbacker exclusive feature on the 4001 and 4003. However you will not find it on a 4001S, 4003S or 4001v63 as they are equipped with mono outputs.

10. 00soul

Jan 4, 2005
    seal beach, ca

i dunno if it makes a difference or not, but i would pick up a rick-o-sound kit just because they are going to stop selling the kits.
  11. keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Indeed, John Hall announced that once the current inventory is gone, it's gone.

I don't think there's anything too special about the ROS box, it's basically just a Y-adapter (though made with good components and cable, it's no cheapie Radio Shack Y-adapter. ;) The current Rickenbacker guitar and bass owners manual mentions that any decent quality stereo cable or shielded Y-cable can be used instead of the ROS box.
  12. apollo11

Aug 19, 2004
    New York
    I just picked up a ROS box, and it is awesome to use, and very nice quality, too. It is currently set up as such:

neck p/u goes to an Ampeg 210 watt combo.
    bridge p/u goes to a Fender 100 watt combo.

Even with this non-fancy setup, the sound is huge. For those with a Ric, the ROS kit is well worth the $72 investment.