1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rick O Sound ?????

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bluesdragon, Sep 19, 2010.

1. bluesdragon

bluesdragon

Mar 23, 2010
    So I finally get a 2010 4003. Been playing for 30 years & this is my first Rickenbacker. I bought the stereo "Y" cord to check out my new Rick o Sound.. What I found was that the neck pick up was not working.. Only the bridge pick up. When I would toggle my pick up selector it worked in the dowm position & the middle position but not the up position.. Is this normal? or am I doing something wrong..?? Any answers?? Thanks

2. I believe that Ric-o-sound is just a stereo output from a dedicated jack, with the bridge pickup going out one arm of the Y cable, and the neck going out the other. Do you have something (Pre/mixer/amp) cabled to both outputs of the Y cable? If not, you'll only get the one pickup through whichever one you are plugged into.

To see if both your pickups are working, plug the cable into the regular jack and then try the toggle.

3. cassius987

cassius987 Inactive

Apr 20, 2007
    Denver, CO
    You have to use a stereo 1/4'' plug for the ROS jack. Then it splits into mono signals of each pickup.

If you don't hear the neck pickup using that jack, you are using a mono plug. That is a classic mistake of Ric newbies.

4. bluesdragon

bluesdragon

Mar 23, 2010
    It sure looks like a stereo plug to me. I got it a Radio Shack... Any Suggestions on a decent plug..

5. fu22ba55

fu22ba55 Gold Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2009
    Just to make sure we're all on the same page here.

(I mean no disrespect whatsoever... and I hope this is an obvious question... I just want to make sure everything's wired up properly.)

-Stereo end of cable goes into ROS jack.

-the two mono jacks on other end of cable each go into their own amp. (Or two channels of the same amp.)

I just want to make sure we're all troubleshooting the same problem here. Again... I mean no disrespect.

6. lowendblues

lowendblues Supporting Member

Oct 8, 2004
    Ohio
  7. mccartneyman

mccartneyman

Dec 22, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Managing Editor, Bass Guitars Editor, MusicGearReview.com
    Make sure the plug is pushed all the way into the ROS jack and that both mono plugs are all the way into the amps. I ran my 4001 for several years with no problem using a cheap stereo Y cord I bought from Radio Shack.

Quick test to determine if the PUPS are working is to plug in mono, turn the vol down all the way on one PUP, select the other with the toggle and see if you get sound. If not, you've got dead PUP.

8. kcole4001

kcole4001

Oct 7, 2009
    Nova Scotia
    The jacks can also be a little finicky with cheap plugs.

9. Not to insult . . . make sure your cable looks like the one below, a TRS stereo to 2 TS mono. TRS to ric-o-sound jack on the bass. TS to 2 discrete amps or channels. The TS mono plugs could be female jacks and standard guitar cables used from there to amps.

On your current RS cable, if the plug to the bass is not TRS (three contact points), it won't work correctly.

[​IMG]

10. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI

This

11. pjmuck

pjmuck

Feb 8, 2006
    New Joisey
    Does the ROS split each PUP to a separate mono feed, (Meaning you'd only hear it in stereo if you were using both PUPs with the switch in the center position), or does it enable you to send either pickup to 2 outputs?

12. deliciouspesto

deliciouspesto

Jan 18, 2009
    ROS is just an extra jack in the body where the two signal leads coming after the selector are left separate so you can connect to each with a stereo cable. The selector works as normal, so you have the same options as with the mono output but instead of having both joined on one cable you will have them on separate outputs. So in your second question, no it won't duplicate a channel to both if you solo it.

Think of it like this:

Pickup 1--\
    _________\
    -----------\---------------------==>combined------MonoJack
    ------------\-------------------//
    -------------=Selector Switch==
    ------------/-------------------\\
    -----------/---------------------==kept separate==StereoJack
    ----------/
    Pickup 2--/

13. Yes. Toggling the switch would/should cut off one of the outputs. At least it did on mine.

14. OP, sounds like you've got the correct cable. Do both PUs work with the mono output of the bass or is it just the stereo?

15. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    No, it doesn't sound like he has the right cable. It sounds like what he got was a mono Y cable, NOT a stereo TRS to 2 mono's. OP, just return the cheap RS cable, and get yourself a good quality stereo to 2 mono cable, as you (EASonBass) have perfectly described in your previous post.

16. Sounds like it to me too but in post #10 he confirms its like the one in the pic.

My thinking is if both PUPs work with the standard mono output jack its most likely an RS cable issue and not the PUP.

Your approach just saves a step :)

17. cassius987

cassius987 Inactive

Apr 20, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Just to clarify, the ROS jack is placed before the mono jack in the circuit. That's how the signals stay split--until the join at the mono jack it's really like each pickup is part of a separate VT circuit with higher resistance to loading. One of many reasons why people who hear ROS for the first time go "WOW :D"--the signals are noticeably brighter.

18. The two signals only combine if the 1/4" Mono jack is inserted - there's a switch on the Mono jack. If you have a Ric-o-Sound cable in the ROS jack at the same time, then you'll get the same summed signal to both outputs.

deliciouspesto: nice diagram, explains it clearly.

19. cassius987

cassius987 Inactive

Apr 20, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Sorry, I thought that was implied.

20. So we don't need to splash out on expensive Rick O Sound (or replica) boxes? Can anyone post a link to where we can buy a lead like the one shown above?

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 25, 2021